What Matters Most | Teen Ink

What Matters Most

Supporting your family for something exciting in their life is important, but it’s hard when there are obstacles in the way. Just like when my brother had his high school graduation; it was pouring outside! I was trying to be a great sister and feel excited for him, but I just couldn’t. All I could concentrate on was staying warm and when it would be over!

“Duh, nuh nuh nuh, nuh nuh,” was all my frozen ears heard from that famous graduation song. I was concentrating on getting comfortable under our fluffy, cotton blanket. It wasn’t that warm but I had to deal with it I also had my gray oversized, billabong jacket on. Now that was warm, but not warm enough.

While wondering how to stay nice and cozy, bundles of names were being called up and rain was pelting down on my shivering body and the thunder was as loud as getting a strike at a bowling alley. I thought, “Ugh, this isn’t going to work. If I don’t pay attention, I’m going to miss my brother, Jonathan.” So I gave up and sat there in the bittersweet rain, annoyed.

Then finally I heard “Jonathan B--------.” My family and I started jumping for joy in the freezing night air and started whistling and screaming as loud as our voices would let us. We even screamed louder than the banging thunder. “Go, Jonathan, we love you!” or “Yeah, Jonathan!” Then he walked up to the front of the ginormous, wet, slick field and received his graduation certificate. All of a sudden, a huge smile started growing on his face.

At that exact moment, nothing else mattered. Not the rain or being warm. Just him and graduating. I was so proud of him, more than ever before. It was an amazing experience for him and I was so touched that I got to be a part or it.