Guess | Teen Ink

Guess

January 12, 2009
By Anonymous

This ad was created by Guess to sell their clothes and accessories. The ad targets young, white females. They use an attractive woman being admired by a handsome man. She looks no older then 24-years-old. This ad targets white females from ages 16-30. The ad uses a white male and female. According to their website, Guess watches retail for around $125.00 and their dresses for around $90.00. The ad also targets young adults with a stable job. People with stable jobs can afford to buy a $125.00 watch. But if they don’t have a stable job, it’s not realistic for them to spend their money on watch.

The blonde girl is in a black, strap-less dress. She is wearing a diamond bracelet with G’s on it. On her left shoulder, there is an attractive man wrapped around her with his eyes closed. He is wearing a black shirt. On his wrist, he has a black watch. The words “Guess by Marciano” are written along the bottom.

This ad gives off a sense of seduction. The reader focuses more on the couple than the clothes. The only way you would know what they were actually trying to sell you are by the words along the bottom. It makes you feel intimidated by the people. They are beautiful. And the looks on their faces makes you feel they don’t care about anyone around them. This makes people want to have that in their lives too. They think she’s wearing Guess, so maybe if I wear Guess a guy would look at me like that. This ad makes you think if you buy the right clothes, do your hair the right way, and make your face look flawless— then any guy would want you.

Materialism is being valued. The ad makes you think he likes her because of the things she is wearing. All Guess. They are trying to portray if you buy their product, you too will feel and look like the model in the picture. The tool of persuasion they use is beautiful people. The two models are perfect. Their hair is blown perfectly. They have are no blemishes. Their skin is a perfect tone. These are the people who girls see and want to emulate. In reality, no one looks perfect, sending an unhealthy message of perfection. The chances the models had no touch-up done is slim. But when twelve-years-olds see the ad, they think I want to be like her. In return, causing serious health and self-image problems.

Today companies use an image of perfection to sell their product, leaving the reader with a sense of false ideals. Buying expensive clothes can make you feel good about yourself. But they won’t look the way the models do in the ad; because it’s unattainable. No one is perfect.