Four | Teen Ink

Four

The sun’s early morning rays peek through my curtains. Footsteps in the hall way harbinger preschool today. My mother pulls that long string, and light comes pouring into my bedroom. She sits down on my flower bedspread.
“Good morning sweetie. It’s time to wake up,” she whispers as I close my eyes again. Preschool is excruciating. It’s the last place I want to be. My mother insists it’s time to eat breakfast. I succumb to her encouragement and get out of bed. Only after she mentions chocolate chip pancakes, of course.
As I shovel the warm and fluffy morning treat into my mouth, I dread the day ahead of me. I am already stressing, for my favorite pink plastic fork is missing. Imagining the day ahead, I see my teacher greeting my mother and I at the door. I know ubiquitous toys will be spread all across the floor. Children will be laughing and playing. That feeling of my mother’s imminent departure makes me want to cry out. Feeling alone is the worst. I could shout loud enough for preschoolers inside the classroom to hear my scream reverberating, but my mother will still leave. Being four is the most fretful age of childhood. I have to find a way to turn this bad day around! Here’s how to make a preschooler’s day less stressful:
•
Enjoy and exciting breakfast.
•
Watch Barney before leaving for preschool.
•
Listen to Raffi (the greatest nursery singer) during the car ride.
•
Skip to the preschool door.
•
Run off to a remote corner in the classroom to get your imagination going.
•
Find a new friend, and order them to imagine you’re on the moon with you.
•
Don’t let any child thwart or frustrate you.
•
Be the first to pick out a story for the teacher to read to the class.
•
Focus on the good parts of the day during the drive home.
•
Go to sleep early.

As I settle back into my bed tonight, I have confidence about the future. I can manage stress as a four year old, and I will conquer stress as mature into adulthood.