I Never Would Know | Teen Ink

I Never Would Know

By someday931 SILVER, Redmond, Washington
someday931 SILVER, Redmond, Washington

My dad has been volunteering at Central Lutheran Church on Capital Hill for approximately eight years now and I’ve been going for as long as I can remember. Now, my sixth grade class was going for they’re “Service Tuesday” to serve food for the citizens in Seattle that required it. I could tell that a few people were anxious to be going and it reminded me of my first time and how afraid I was. But I knew my peers were going to have fun after getting over they’re fears like I did. I was very eager to give back to my community and give food to the people in need.

When we finally got inside the large, open building, we were told what we were going to be doing. It sounded like a lot but we would get it all done. My group, Elli, me, and Elli’s mom Amy, were put on desserts. We were supposed to cut up and put out a more then two-hundred sweets. We were extremely hungry, having missed snack that morning, and started to consider how the people outside in line who most likely haven’t eaten since the day before, or possibly the Friday last week when the Community Lunch was open.

When they finally opened the doors which people had been waiting behind for hours, everyone was hungry. A wave of sounds flew towards us along with a strong smell of cigarette smoke. Looking at the people was like looking at a garden filled with flowers. All different colors, sizes, and personalities. Some people were loud and others were quieter, maybe because they were embarrassed that eleven and twelve year’s olds were serving them.

Some of the people that have been waiting outside for hours, snatched soap and ran into the bathroom instead of getting the hot meal, thrilled to have hot water and a mirror where they could clean themselves, perhaps for the first time in weeks. In fact, if you passed by the girls restroom there was a woman crying in there, overjoyed to finally have soap and to be clean. We set out dog and cat food and people could take as many as they want, so they could feed there pets for days. We had muffins, scones, sandwiches, and trail mix in bags so people could take it with them and it would be easier to lug around. We tried to accommodate everyone needs, even having a station out back for people lacking teeth so they could eat too.

The people at the Community Lunch changed my perspective of the world. I learned not to be afraid of people that were different and less fortunate then me. I learned that everyone was the same on the inside no matter how much money you have or the way your life turned out. And that deep down, we’re all just people and that when other people need help, we should give it to them. Those people waiting in line for food have changed my life forever. I perceive the world differently then I did earlier and I will continue doing Community Service for the rest of my life.