Drugs in Schools | Teen Ink

Drugs in Schools

I find sad how many drugs are in school nowadays, so commonly that we bring in specialized dogs to sniff for drugs on a weekly -- or daily -- basis. Why is it that we as a people can’t seem to keep off drugs? I mean, it’s commercialized often in the media, “take [Fill in the blank] pill today, to solve [Fill in the blank generic problem]”; the celebrity drug abuse which is popularized in the media (Look at idols Paris Hilton or Britney Spears, or even Miley Cyrus for a minute), or the steroid abuse which is used in sports. It’s amazing, and what’s really shocking is the trickle-down effect it’s having on the kids in our high schools today. Where I go to school, the A.P. Biology class does a seminar on steroid abuse, and we occasionally have guest speakers on drugs, and still we have the abuse from people on a daily basis. It’s a marvel to me why, when we know all the harmful effects; is the high worth destroying yourself in the process? If there’s anything I know, it’s how bad drugs can be to the body, and I feel that if more people could learn the dangers and realize how bad it is for them, we might one day have a shot at getting rid of drugs in our world -- or at least our schools.