Dare to Risk | Teen Ink

Dare to Risk

March 20, 2015
By ChaoticRebel BRONZE, Addis Ababa, Other
ChaoticRebel BRONZE, Addis Ababa, Other
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage......
Unless you're afraid."


"Chance is the pseudonym God uses , when he doesn't want to sign his name."


In life often chance is disguised as risk, and so very few understand the importance of taking a risk.


Often, in books and movies, I've seen characters that are reserved, introverted, older , tougher and smarter to be portrayed as brave. A few years ago, I wouldn't have found fault with this, but, now I realize that it isn't that "tough" lead character, but his goofy sidekick that is the brave one. Yes, I'm talking about that one sidekick whom we consider to be lame as he keeps making a fool out of himself and expressing himself ...to be precise expressing his fear and love openly.


Bravery isn't jumping off buildings, shooting a gun, being able to thrash up the bad guys or  any such physical pursuit.


Bravery is not being afraid to be hurt. And as much as experience has taught me, it's easier and much less painful to get beaten up, than to  get your heart broken or  to be betrayed.


Being brave is  about that one moment when you muster up every ounce of courage within you , without giving a damn about whether what you will do , may break you and take that risk.


Now, you  might think,"Okay, let me be brave and jump off a building because some random article told me to do so, as I  must take risks ." but, no that's not what I meant.


Remember , there's a fine line between bravery and idiocy.
What I meant by not being afraid to get hurt is ......more on the emotional front.

I personally was and maybe still am afraid of getting emotionally hurt. I never shied away from adrenaline enduring adventure sports or anything of such nature, so I was considered brave. But, deep down inside , I only showed off a tough exterior , so as to make up for my loss inside. Because of my past experiences , I had trust issues. I'd hardly ever trust anybody , for the fear that I'd be betrayed. I was afraid of being blamed, so I'd lie and I was afraid of being abandoned, so even though I had a bunch of friends, I never let anybody get close enough to hurt me.

 

But, a while ago , I realised I was letting my past dictate my present.


So, I sat myself down and thought. I did a great deal of thinking and realised , that  not  everyone is a traitor and not everyone wants to hurt people . So , I took a risk. I began to trust people , I began to love without fearing loss and it was hard, but it's just about that one push .It's One short life, and if it's gonna mean anything, you're gonna have to stop building walls and try building bridges.

Its okay to be afraid. But, weakness, is ultimately a choice.


Don't be afraid to express yourself . Love, laugh and cry. I can't guarantee , that you won't get hurt, but it's the risk one has to take.

"Hope is the only thing stronger than fear.",  the hope for a happier life, won over my fear of getting hurt. Very few live, most just cease to exist.


It all starts by taking a risk, a life of happiness, a life without worries lies behind wall of defence. It's a short life, live it to it's fullest.


I'd rather regret doing something , than not doing a thing at all. When I'm old, I'm never going to say " I didn't do this." or " I regret not doing that." I'm going to say " I don't regret a damn thing. I came , went and did it all."


                                   "Leap... And the net will appear. "


The author's comments:

This article I've written, is based on personal experience. I realised this quite late though... But the purpose of writing this is to let people know that it's okay to be afraid and it's never too late to change.