Why Should We Write? | Teen Ink

Why Should We Write?

March 6, 2015
By meerasobti GOLD, Singapore, Singapore, New Jersey
meerasobti GOLD, Singapore, Singapore, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The mind is everything. What you think you become."


Every sentence was dark, dark chocolate, or nothing less than strong cinnamon, ginger or saffron, each word purely rich, purely flavorful. Never was there a phrase dissolved into the milky blanks of the tawny pages, bland. I tried not to overlook anything, or read without consuming, devouring every bit of it, and pausing to let its content melt through my veins and let me feel everything I could. If an author is able to have this impact on a reader with their writing, then they have succeeded. ‘If there is a story within you, it has to come out.’ – William Faulkner. As people, we have to be greater than what we suffer. Pour everything you’ve ever felt, everything you’ve ever noticed into your words. Everything, everything, it must come out for those who write know how to turn pain into sour bliss. When we read, we are no longer ourselves, but experiencing the escape velocity of something entirely different and unknown, a place where a characters bliss becomes our own, a place where every sentence brings you into its world of either summer days or let it be a winter haze, we are brought to adventure, to feel and most of all to escape, escape, escape. Let your writing bring people into your world, the way you see things, what you have felt, what you have noticed; everything in that head of yours is worth a million, and it must come out.