Freedom? | Teen Ink

Freedom?

February 28, 2015
By Anonymous

I.Can’t.Escape. I.Can’t.Escape. I.Can’t.Escape. They haunt me, they torture me, they reach out to me. I want to forget them and move on, but how? Reaching out, flooding my thoughts. All I have is memories of darkness. When I close my eyes, all I see is smoke, dust and ashes. I never found out exactly what happened until later. All was fine one day, then the next: BOOM! All gone. They stood for so much: for life, for liberty, for the pursuit of happiness. For freedom. You could see them from a mile away, always stretching tall into the sky, sparkling silver in the sunshine. But now, there is nothing. There is a hole where the towers once stood; an empty hole, empty of promises, hopes and dreams. It haunts me that I lived, and so many others died. Those who perished don’t deserve this, so why do bad things happen to good people? I can remember one thing: an image of broad stripes and bright stars, fixed and soaring through all the dust. And at that moment, I knew that we were together. We would never capitulate, we would never back down. Fourteen years later, however, we have one question. We like our freedom, but at what cost?