Gay Marriage | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage

By Insane2001 SILVER, Plainsboro, New Jersey
Insane2001 SILVER, Plainsboro, New Jersey

I found myself looking around me at hollow faces, and wondering if this is it, if every heart on this earth has been stained. But then, when I look into our hearts, I see we're all like candles with beauty inside, masked behind wax, hardened by the pain we all must face. But when one of us begins to burn with compassion, our fragrance fills the air, and we unconsciously ignite others around us. I find that the wax melts, and that is our core, our beauty, our light that remains. Slowly we'll burn one by one, till the day we reach the end of our sticks and we're all burning with compassion. So maybe we all have to be set alight.- Percy Jackson, Wolf's Law Chapter 23.

Gay rights is an immense issue for people in these times. But is it really that difficult to decide? For starters, speaking in terms of America, the U.S government shouldn’t have religion in it, like it does now, and that may be the reason for why gay marriage is not approved. The separation of church and government is an immense issue, that’s not easy to get rid of. For example, the Pledge of Allegiance has “One nation, Under God.” Another example of the government not separating their religion and their leadership. Apparently, in 2013, most of Congress were Protestants, who follow Western Christian churches. While the nationalities of the people in Congress has become more diverse, the majority of the people are still Christians. Does that impact the outcome for gay rights?

One argument against gay marriage is that it’s not marriage. Calling something marriage doesn’t make it a legitimate marriage. However, why can’t it be? Apparently, marriage is only for procreation of children, as a few Christians and others against gay marriage believe, and without that, it’s simply not marriage. Yet Merriam Webster lists the second definition of marriage to be “a similar relationship between people of the same sex.” Besides, who are the opposers to say what is or isn’t marriage? I think it’s marriage. But is my opinion not valued?

Another argument against gay marriage is that it denies a child a mother or a father. However, how many children have single parents? In a study, conducted by Washington Times, in 2010, about fifteen million children lived without a father. Around twenty million lived without mothers. Clearly, America already has enough kids living without one parent, but at least with gay couples, they’ll still have two parents, and in most couples, someone assumes the dominant role, generally played by the man, and a submissive role, generally played by the woman. In a same sex marriage, the couple also takes on a dominate role and a submissive role. Also, gay couples could adopt the kids, the children that were left behind by heterosexual couples.

TFP Student Action, also known as American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property. states that “It turns a moral wrong into a civil right,” meaning there is a difference between racial equality and marriage equality, the “It” referring to gay marriage. But, in the end, by not allowing same sex couples to marry, it’s saying that heterosexual couples are superior to same sex couples, and that creates a more prominent social standing. Also, the thing I don’t understand is, what’s wrong with letting gay couples marry? It’s none of the government’s business about who marries who, and I don’t see why the government adds religion everywhere. Also, gay marriage will probably not lead to incest or beastility, or necrophilia. This makes gay couples sound like they are bad for the people, but nothing happens with gay marriage. That is on a completely different level, rather than two people who love each other, marrying each other.

People also say that being gay is unnatural. However, homosexual relationships aren’t new. They’ve been around since Ancient Rome, and considering when Rome fell in 476 CE, they split to the Eastern Orthodox church, and Roman Christianity. But since they still worshipped Pagan gods at that time, it technically doesn’t have much to do with Christianity. Or if you’re talking about it being unnatural in nature, as in mother nature, most species have homosexuality. For example, dolphins, african lions, penguins, giraffes,etc.

I’ve mentioned the government adding religion everywhere, but where does it say that one reason gay marriage is not allowed is because of religion? TFP Student Action, on the last bullet of their ten bullet list of why homosexual marriage is bad, states “It Offends God.” Now, be mindful for the God they are talking about is the Christian God. They refer to Adam and Eve, and the Bible. All of which, I don’t care about. I’m not Christian, so why is it that your religion is governing America, when America is supposed to be diverse? Also, yet again, how is this really the government’s business, on who marries who and what gender they both are? Homosexuality is not a choice. By saying that it is, it’s implied that anyone can look at a member of the same gender, and be physically attracted to them. Truly straight people can’t do that.

The main point of this article isn’t to tell you that you have to think gay marriage is right. Opinions are opinions. But the point is, it doesn’t matter what religion you are, it doesn’t give you the right to get into congress, and then rule with those restrictions on your mind. You have to separate religion and government, otherwise the people who love each other, can’t marry each other, solely because of your religion, which they may or may not even believe in. You don’t have to like same sex marriage, but imagine not being able to marry the person who you love, and who loves you. And I’m not saying that it’s only Christians who are against it, or that all Christians are against homosexuality. I know Christians who are fine with it, but this was to the bigoted Christians. Ergo, fight for marriage equality.

Works Cited
Anderson, Kirsten. “The Number of US Children Living in Single-Parent Homes has Nearly Doubled in 50 years: Census Data.” Life Site. 1997-2015 LifeSiteNews.com, 4 Jan. 2013. Web. 20 Feb. 2015. .
Blackstone, Andrew. “10 Animals That Practice Homosexuality.” Listverse. 2007–2015 Listverse, 20 Apr. 2013. Web. 20 Feb. 2015. .
“Faith on the Hill: The Religious Composition of the 113th Congress.” Pew Research Center. Pew Research Center, 2 Jan. 2013. Web. 20 Feb. 2015. .
“Marriage.” Merriam Webster. © 2015 Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2015. .
“10 Reasons Why Homosexual “Marriage” is Harmful and Must be Opposed.” TFP Student Action. TFP Student Action, n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2015. .
Wiker, Benjamin. “Gay marriage and homosexuality were part of moral landscape in Ancient Rome.” Life Site. 1997-2015 LifeSiteNews.com, 27 June 2012. Web. 20 Feb. 2015. .