Are School Uniforms Good or Bad for Kids? | Teen Ink

Are School Uniforms Good or Bad for Kids?

By lexicat773 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
lexicat773 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

its funny when I'm loud people tell me to be quiet, but when I'm quiet people ask whats ring with me

A topic that has been debated for a long time is school uniforms.Think about it how would you feel if your inner self was locked up inside from eight to nine hours. School uniforms are bad for kids because kids oppose school uniforms, school uniforms are driven by commercial reasons more than educational reasons and lastly school uniforms take away students freedom of expression in how they get to dress.

Kids oppose school uniforms peer-reviewed study by researchers at the University of Nevada at Reno found that 90% of seventh and eighth grade public school students did not like wearing uniforms. A 2007 survey of Harford County, MD public school students found that 87.9% of the students were opposed to uniforms In the year following the introduction of mandatory school uniforms to the Long Beach California  Unified School District, 81% of middle school students said uniforms did not reduce fights, 76% said they did not help them fit in at school, 69% said they did not make them feel more connected with the school community, and 71% said they felt no safer traveling to and from school.

The push for school uniforms is driven by commercial interests rather than educational reasons. Retailer of JC Penney co sys “Americans spend around $1 billion on school uniforms every year” “school uniforms are a huge, important business for us." In 2003 alone, uniform company Lands' End spent $3 million on marketing efforts directed at public schools and districts.Multiple studies used to promote the effectiveness of uniforms were partly funded by Lands' End, and at least one of those studies is "so wholly flawed as to render itself useless," according to David L. Brunsma, PhD.In Aug. 2013, Reuters reported that retailers were "sensing their opportunity... stepping up competition in the uniform aisles and online. Walmart has set up 'uniform shops' or temporary boutiques within some stores."

school uniforms take away freedom of dressing  American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada say "compelled conformity to conventional standards of appearance" does not "seem a justifiable part of the educational process."this may affect some kids self image they may not  like how they look in the uniform

so as you can see throughout the essay with quote,evidence school uniforms are terrible idea for kids through any age we don’t want them to go through feeling identical to the person next to you you may not be in a school district that have school uniforms but know that their new schools being built every single day that may require uniforms and along with that comes kids feeling the same as everyone and not fitting in because the look different in the uniform but remember the next time you walk out the door know thats today is your day do something with it.