Dog Fighting | Teen Ink

Dog Fighting

By Contos BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Contos BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Here, There, Everywhere: Difference is the Norm! - Matthew Crowe

Lately there has been a  crime that has been occurring all over the world and the crime is called dog fighting, and a lot of people ask “Is Dog Fighting Good or Bad for Animals?” I and many other people believe that it is wrong but some people say that it is ok it won’t affect anyone or it won't hurt anyone, the dog's won’t care. They are wrong it affects dog's and people. And I have come to see that it is bad. I have listed three main reasons but their are so many more than just theses three.  Dog safety, Animal cruelty, and the dogs health. Dog fighting can lead to so many other issues than the ones that I have listed today.

Have you ever seen pictures or heard about what dog's look like or how they are in helth? I have it is horrible. Their faces our torn the the are missing limbs. Dog fighting put dogs in unsafe conditions. “About 12 dogs that had not put up a good fight were killed by Vick and his friends. Some were beaten, electrocuted, and one was even slammed repeatedly to the ground until it died.” quoted from a PBS video called “The Vick Dogs Make A Comeback.” I would change this sentence to: This is showing just one piece of evidence of what people do to the dogs if they do something wrong For a moment put yourself in those dogs paws.   Imagine being in a barn, needles in your body and half of your face is numb. Then, all of a sudden you hear a loud roar of people screaming things like “Kill him” “You can take him!” Then you see a dog three times the size of you and in an instant it all goes black and you are back in the barn then you see your so called “owner”  and he has a black thing in his hand and bam he electrocutes you.  Why? That’s because you lost fight.

People may treat dogs or any animal like they are just a piece of junk but the aren't the are living animals with feelings to the can be happy, sad, scared, or even angry. So it is cruel to make them fight. Dog fighting is cruel to Dogs.  “The dogs who are most commonly bred for fighting are generally known as “pit bulls”: Staffordshire terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, American bulldogs, and American pit bull terriers. Dogs who are used for fighting are usually kept penned or chained (often with heavy logging chains), and many are taunted and starved in order to trigger extreme survival instincts and encourage aggression. Some dogfighters train dogs by forcing them to tread water in pools; run on a treadmill while a caged rabbit, cat, chicken, or other terrified animal is dangled in front of them; or hang on with their jaws while dangling from a chain baited with meat. Many dogs are injected with steroids, and some dogfighters even sharpen their dogs’ teeth, cut off their ears (to prevent another dog from latching on), and add roach poison to their food so that their fur might taste bad to other dogs.”  I ask my self all the time why would you ever do this to an animal.

By letting dog fighting happen has so many affects on the dog's  health and their future and how they will be in the long run. How will the be with people dogs? But not all dogs are  aggressive after they have fought. “ How does it cause animal suffering? The injuries inflicted and sustained by dogs participating in dogfights are frequently severe, even fatal. The American pit bull terriers used in the majority of these fights have been specifically bred and trained for fighting and are unrelenting in their attempts to overcome their opponents. With their extremely powerful jaws, they are able to inflict severe bruising, deep puncture wounds, and broken bones. Dogs used in these events often die of blood loss, shock, dehydration, exhaustion, or infection hours or even days after the fight. Other animals are often sacrificed as well. Some owners train their dogs for fights using smaller animals such as cats, rabbits, or small dogs. These “bait” animals are often stolen pets or animals obtained through “free to good home” advertisements.” When I hear and see what happens to dogs who have been fought it is horrible. People who have fights don't realize the effects on the dogs.

After the evidence that was shown there still may be some people who say that dogfighting is not bad, but I feel that I have showed that it is bad. So now you see the three reasons that dog fighting is bad for dogs for the dogs safety, animal cruelty, and the effects on the dogs. What can you do? If you ever hear people talking about how it  would be fun to try dog fighting, stick up for the dogs or if you see or hear about dog fighting in your community give the police an anonymous tip. If you have a dog think about what would happen if your dog was in dog fighting or any dog.

I have taken alot of time into reserching this kind of a topic.