Girl Scout Cookies Available Online | Teen Ink

Girl Scout Cookies Available Online

February 1, 2015
By goldyblob12 BRONZE, Stillwater, Minnesota
goldyblob12 BRONZE, Stillwater, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This technology takeover that has come to be is really starting to hit me. You can say that being a Girl Scout is virtually pointless now. I remember the days when I went door to door selling cookies. My dad and I went up the dark and snowy 1st street on chilly days after school. It was a big competition; who could sell the most cookies. Along with that, prizes from the cookie company were given at certain cookies-sold checkpoints.


Door to door we went; secretly motivated by the prizes and local fame. I was-and still am-a shy kid, so persuasion was not something I was willing to do. Luckily, it was rarely necessary. Some people probably felt bad for this little kid who was going door to door in the middle of winter, trying to sell cookies. I usually got at least one box out of everyone who answered the door.


When the day came that the troops met for the results, I was ecstatic. Truth be told, I tried a lot harder than most girls in my troop. A lot of them sold to family members and stopped at that. When my troop leader announced, “Sophie sold ___ boxes of cookies and will receive…” I was the proudest little thing.


By word of mouth, I heard that you can buy Girl Scout cookies online now. The thought of it makes me sick. I get that the world is digitizing, making just about everything available on the internet, but do not forget what it’s like to experience things. You can’t experience things on the internet. Do not try to tell me otherwise. These Girl Scouts who sell cookies through the internet, what do they get out of it? All they had to do was send someone a link and that person could get the cookies in a matter of days/weeks (I assume it’s quicker than when I was a Girl Scout). There’s nothing satisfying about that. What is satisfying is wheeling around a wagon full of cookies and collecting money in a manila envelope.


I hope you see the dismality in the situation. If you don’t, turn off your computer and find a hobby.


The author's comments:

The technology-takeover has hit Girl Scouts across the country.