Should Animals Be Held In Captivity? | Teen Ink

Should Animals Be Held In Captivity?

By savgrace SILVER, Moline, Illinois
savgrace SILVER, Moline, Illinois

No matter how perfect something is, it may not be right for you anymore.

To some people, animals in captivity means a good family outing. For others, however, it means an animal sitting in a prison cell. The debate of whether or not animals should be held in captivity is one that will last until the flame of civilization is blown out.

The fight goes both ways. Many people believe that zoos are for education and entertainment purposes. Many others believe that zoos are teaching the children that caging animals is acceptable. SeaWorld argued that it teaches the children to love the animals. The people who are against, believe children love dinosaurs, without even seeing them. Zoos and aquariums generate more money than all professional sports leagues in the US and Canada combined.

Zoos argue that by bringing endangered species in, they’re helping to save the animals. That way, they’re being protected from hunters. On an animal’s rights standpoint, the people believe that zoos do not have the right to keep animals even if they are endangered. They also argue that zoos kill their “extra” animals, and that they aren’t released back into the wild. Protesters feel that removing endangered species from the wild will further endanger them.

Animal Rights. The fight here is even stronger. People believe animals have no rights, because they are not human beings. “The Animal Welfare Act was signed into law in 1966. It is the only Federal law in the United States that regulates the treatment of animals in research, exhibition, transport, and by dealers. Other laws, policies, and guidelines may include additional species coverage or specifications for animal care and use, but all refer to the Animal Welfare Act as the minimum acceptable standard. The Act is enforced by USDA, APHIS, Animal Care” (“Animal WelFare Act”).

Zoos believe that they follow these standards. They feel they provide the animals with space, the right food, and the right environment. The opposition does not think it’s that simple. The opposers feel animals in captivity suffer from health issues. An enclosure must provide space to allow each animal to make normal movements. Not having enough space can cause malnutrition, poor health, stress, and/or behavior problems. Usually a zoo that has not followed this guideline is given a violation notice and date by which they need to fix this issue.
An orca whale was captured in November of 1983. In exchange for a breeder, SeaWorld bought Tilikum. On February 24th, 2010, the SeaWorld trainer Dawn Brancheau was killed by an orca whale named Tilikum. Seaworld proceeded to blame the attack on Dawn. She was wearing a ponytail instead of a bun, attracting Tilikum. Many oceanic researchers say that there has never been a known incident of an orca whale attacking in the wild. Many orca whales live to be 100 years old. In captivity, they only live to be 25-30 years old. Not only did Tilikum attack Dawn, he also attacked three other trainers previously. It’s not known as to why Tilikum attacked. It may, or may not be, that he was confined.

Canada is also putting up a fight for their elephants. Studies have shown that elephants in the wild live longer than an elephant in a zoo (Bob Mckeown). Zoo keepers who take care of the elephants believe that they are well taken care of, are in a natural environment, and have all of the things they would have in the wild. “‘Canada is a wonderful place and I love Canadians. I loved them on the The Price is Right and I love the country. But it ain't no place for elephants,’ says Bob Barker, former host of The Price is Right and animal activist” (Bob Mckeown).
Many people feel that a zoo is a far cry from an animal's habitat. Others argue that the education of the people who visit the zoo is reason enough to keep the animals. Is the right of animals enough to risk for family outings?

I love animals. I have a golden retriever and 3 cats. I used to volunteer at my local animal shelter. I've had dogs my whole life. I love going to the zoo! I don't have an opinion on this topic, though.