A Soul in Exchange for a Night of Pleasure | Teen Ink

A Soul in Exchange for a Night of Pleasure

By Joely Lorenzen BRONZE, Vista, California
Joely Lorenzen BRONZE, Vista, California

Restaurants serving burgers dripping in grease, ice cream saturated in fat, and breakfast foods with the copious amounts of carbs needed to provide the fluffy breaded textures are skyrocketing with success. The foods at these restaurants are irresistible to those who are hungry because of the undeniable chemistry they will have when the food meets their taste buds.  Amusement parks are a popular family pass time as roller coasters thrill, themes of the park excite, and scary drops entice adrenaline’s deepest craving. Today the masses will spend their time and money on anything that promises an outcome that leaves them satisfied. Pleasure controls the motives of all. The methods to obtain pleasure are unquestionable and there are no boundaries for some as they cross lines and ignore the safety and well-being of others. There are few genuine hearts out there that can claim to put the prosperity of others above their own desires. Japanese historians and journalists cover up issues of abusive recruiting of women for pleasure during World War 2. The measures taken by those on the pursuit of selfish pleasure put the sanity and truth on the back burner to feed their greedy appetites; they, however, cannot escape the danger of the open flame of reprimand just beneath them. This generation is slave to lifestyles centered around seeking pleasure. The sex trade is a means of business that has survived through the ages, and has brought pleasure to every man’s “aching need”. Women have been objects of self-indulgence for men, serving every desire against their will. Men justify this to themselves, while hiding this addiction from those in their world. These dishonorable actions taken to bring thrill and entertainment are not acceptable even in a world submerged in self. Journalists and historians are discovering truths of women that have held the identity of “comfort women” and their accounts of being attacked and forcibly recruited as sex slaves for the Japanese army during World War ll. The governments of offenders are constantly protecting their image and sabotaging previous investigations claiming that the evidence for proof of abuse and recruitment is unattainable. Because of the revealing of stories of women being taken advantage of by these recruiters, a shame is brought upon Japan. Even so, revealed corruption such as this has been described as something to have “feelings of apology and reflection” towards. There is no pity, no remorse, no plan to compensate these women for the abhorrences they have lived through. The fixation lives on. The shackles around the ankles of this nation are pleasure, but we have no motivation to set ourselves free; we are perfectly content, until caught in a negative light. As pleasure is sought it always has its reprimands when the cost of one obtaining means stealing it away from another. The hearts of people in this country have hardened and become so desensitized to the lack of respect and care for another’s body. There is shame in these actions, there is no doubt, but the indulgence outweighs any conscience or effort to put to death the beast of this addiction. Actions and consequences always come too late. Truth prevails, but never a change of heart. Selfish are the bodies, and bankrupt are the souls of any hope.

I feel a call to stand up to this world's slavery to selfishness.