If I Were an Indian Woman

I feel so hopeless and sad! I've been pregnant four times and all of them have been girls. I can't control the sex of my baby, it's not like I have a magical liquid that will make me have a son. Each time I conceive a girl, I get brutally punished. My face has been burned, I've been beaten with sticks, my wrist has been broken, and I've been stabbed in the stomach.

Why is this my life? Why has God let this happen to me? As a little girl, I dreamed of being a happy, vibrant young woman. I'm living the complete opposite; everyday is filled with nothing but torture and sadness, what's the point of living now? Maybe I shoukd kill myself, at least I won't have to suffer anymore. It's not the best decision, but it's the only way I see myself ever being free.

KMG28 said...
Was it called "Its a Girl"? I am a high school student and also watched a documentary on the same subject. We have to appreciate the blessed lives we live and if we can, someday, help the ill-fated. I'm glad this issue is being put out there.

Positivity_At_Its_Finest This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Yes! That is the name of it!