Mistakes in Life | Teen Ink

Mistakes in Life

By AshleighSterling BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
AshleighSterling BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

If you live long enough, you'll make mistakes. But if you learn from them, you'll be a better person. It's how you handle adversity, not how it affects you. The main thing is never quit, never quit, never quit.
William J. Clinton

Think back on today, maybe yesterday as well, how about a week or a month or a year. What does all of this have in common?  How about a mistake within each and every one of those. It may have been big or it may have been small.  Mistakes are a part of everyday life from when the sun comes up to when it goes down trailed by the moon going up and going down, marking the days past.  We all make mistakes because no one is perfect but that does not mean they are failures, you must learn from them and you must fix them. 

Thomas Edison didn't invent the light bulb on the first try. To some people those times it didn't work were failures, but to others it meant that there was a mistake that something had to change. When you make a mistake it doesn't automatically mean you fail it just means that you made a mistake.  When you take a test you could make a mistake and get a wrong answer. A lot of people see a mistake as a big red X and that big red X is a failure and so they end up quitting or giving up because they become afraid of failure.  However if they saw the mistake as just that, a mistake, they would continue on and not quit they would see it as a time to grow, to learn from their mistake.

A mistake is a time to grow. You have to learn from your mistakes in the past.  People tend to repeat mistakes over and over again. That is because they do not learn from them.  There is an emotion inside a person called guilt. Guilt builds inside us over what has happened, the outcome, who was hurt, what has happened, what will people think, it all builds up causing a knot to form in your stomach. This is guilt.  You have it as a teacher. The teacher is there to help you learn to be sorry for what happened and to learn not to repeat the mistake. It is there as a help in life. Help you learn from the past and to help you in the future. 

When a mistake is made its okay because you can learn from it and you fix it. In order to fix a mistake you have to say sorry and actually mean it when you say it.  You actually have to have intent behind your words and make amends with the person or people you have hurt.  Life is a pot each mistake you make causes a crack to form. Each crack can be repaired, some will be deeper and require more work but can still be fixed.  Once a crack is fixed the pot is strong again.  However the same can go for if you leave a mistake unfixed.  The crack can weaken the pot, it makes it more susceptible to more mistakes and the crack could spread further. The relationships you have with people are bridges. The old saying “Don’t burn the bridge,” this is it you have to repair the mistake in order to keep the bridge from burning all the way. It may remain dark in places and may never be the same but that is part of a mistake it can be forgiven and fixed but it may never be forgotten. 
All the mistakes in life are never failures, you get to learn from them and you must mend them for the sake of others and yourself.  Mistakes aren't a negative thing they are not meant to be a black mark, they are test for us to grow and mend to make us a better person. To mold us into a human being.  Mistakes do not define us as a person, they define us being human beings that live on earth.  How hard we work to learn from them and how hard we work to mend the tears we create defines us as a person.  Some mistakes will be big.  Some mistakes will be small.  Some mistakes will have a big impact on your life.  Some mistakes will have a small impact on your life.  These all will be mistakes and you will learn from it and you will be able to live and continue on. It’s okay just remember that this is life and we all live it once. So be willing to take a chance and make a mistake because you do not get to go back and redo it or make a change. 

My english teacher makes us sit and wrote for 10 min and he gives us a topic. This one stuck with me because we all make mistakes and some will be bigger than others.  We sometimes think we will never get over the repercusions but we always do. this was just me saying that mistakes are apart of life and learning.