The First Step to a Better Country | Teen Ink

The First Step to a Better Country

By Jojo6709 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Jojo6709 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Too many tragedies have occurred due to gun violence. Most Americans agree that something needs to be done to stop these horrific occurrences. They have become too common. There shouldn’t be a shooting almost every day. Therefore, laws need to be applied to stop these incidents that are tearing down our community. Gun control is one step that we need to take towards bettering our communities. We need laws that restrict the unfit from access to guns, or prevent young children from firearms that are dangerous to handle like an Uzi. All of these will improve the safety of America, the crime in America and the structure of our country.

We have way too many firearms on the streets of America. As stated by Fareed Zakaria, “There are 88.8 firearms per 100 people in the U.S.” (The Case for Gun Control). America tops all other countries when it comes to the amount of firearms citizens own in the country. If we are to have a safe country we can’t just give anyone a gun and expect them not to use it in the wrong way. There needs to be some kind of control and that control is a law. We should input the process of background checks. As stated by Gabrielle Giffords and Eric T Schneiderman, “They are supported by nearly 90 percent of Americans - gun owners and non-gun owners - just as vast majorities of Americans accept our constitutional right to own guns for self-defense, hunting, shooting or collecting” (Working Together for a Safer America). It is better to stop something before it ever happens then it is to regret in the future. Giving citizens guns and letting them walk around the city with them doesn’t make the community safer. It’s not ok for America to reach a point where it becomes common for a regular person to walk around with a gun. Imagine traveling to another country and seeing almost every citizen with a firearm strapped to their waste. Fear is not something that should be enforced; law is.

Our country’s crime rate for firearm homicide is still at a high percentage. Since the year of 2000, all other crime rates such as aggravated assaults and motor vehicle theft has decreased (FBI.gov). There is no reason for our government to ignore this statement. The same way our government has helped drop the rates of the other crimes is the same way they could drop this. One law can be created that accounts for all the problems we have with guns. There is no need for restriction of safety or well being, but there is a need for restriction of criminals and accidents that can be stopped.

Many people say that things like murder will happen no matter what. They say you can take every gun away in the world and things like crime will still go on. That may be true, but that doesn’t mean we can’t try some other way to stop the corruption. Gun control doesn’t take guns from people. It prevents people from owning guns for the wrong purpose. Would the people say the same thing if someone close to them was murdered? You can’t just turn down something as serious as this.

When someone hears gun control, they think that the main purpose is to destroy their right to own a gun. Gun control is the opposite of that. It is to stop all that possess the mindset of a murderer or criminal from the right to own a gun, but at the same time makes sure you are fit to have one as well. Gun control adds structure to our society so that we have something to live by. So that America doesn’t get thrown into chaos and everyone is able to do whatever they please. Structure prevents that and laws create structure like the ones that should be approved whichstates that a person needs to have a background check before purchasing a gun. There should be levels that qualifies one person for the types of firearms he or she is able to have. All of this helps our communities become a better place.

Many people agree with the ideas of gun control already. The article, "In Gun Control Debate, Several Options Draw Majority Support” states that eighty five percent of Americans want or agree with making private gun auctions and sales at gun shows require a background check. It also says that 80 percent support the idea that it should be illegal for mentally ill to own a gun. This just shows that most people agree with the gun control concept. No one should disagree because it makes no sense.

The next time you think gun control shouldn’t be enforced, just remember all the lives that could've been saved if there was laws that stopped the murderers from purchasing a gun. Remember that gun control can save someone’s life.

Works Cited
"Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence." Second Amendment Law. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Oct. 2014.
"FBI Mobile Site." FBI Mobile Site. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Nov. 2014
"In Gun Control Debate, Several Options Draw Majority Support." Pew Research Center for the People and the Press RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2014.
Zakaria, Fareed. "In Gun Control Debate, Several Options Draw Majority Support." Pew Research Center for the People and the Press RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2014.
Giffords, Gabrielle, and Eric T Schneiderman. "Working Together for a Safer America." Washington Post. 18 Oct. 2013: p. A.19. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.