Harry Potter | Teen Ink

Harry Potter

By Isabelly GOLD, Paragould, Arkansas
Isabelly GOLD, Paragould, Arkansas

"Just drop out this week" - Mr. Baldwin

Is Harry Potter about starting an occult, or just a harmless children’s book? The Harry Potter controversy has not died down. Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling is a fictional book that is not about inspiring children to become involved in the occult and serious witchcraft. Harry Potter is a great series that every kid should get a chance to read. Harry Potter is one of the largest best-selling books at Barns and Noble. It is getting more and more children who do not like to read, to start reading. Children that are too young to read can benefit from having the Harry Potter series read to them. Reading aloud funny and exciting stories like Harry Potter allows for a mixture of emotions. The wizard, Harry, manages to defeat Lord Voldemort despite all the hardships he has had in his life. These books are full of universal themes. Standing up for what you believe in, learning to face what you fear and realizing that people with different backgrounds can work together and become friends are some of the things that every kid should learn. Harry’s character is about human values such as love, family, bravery, self-reliance, tolerance, and friendship. There is nothing trying to get children to get involved in occults or serious witchcraft. If the people criticizing the book would actually read it, they would realize that they’re wrong. Ask yourself why a Christian author would write a book that would encourage children to join occults?

Some people may say that Harry Potter is about inspiring children to become involved in the occult and serious witchcraft, but where in the book does it say, “Hey kids! Y’all should join an occult and start praising the devil!” The only thing close to that is in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Ron and Harry are talking and they say, “Shall we pop down to where the coven's meeting, and engage in some top-notch satanic magic, Harry?” Ron inquired eagerly. “Yeah, hang on a minute and let me get some shoes on. We should probably pick up a baby on the way to be slaughtered at the ritual.” Ron and Harry are only joking though. They do not mean anything by it. People are choosing to interpret these books in a very selective way. Some people won’t let their children read the series because Dumbledore is gay. Dumbledore has no sexual relations with any of the male characters. There’s not anything in the book to suggest he’s gay, There focusing on the fact that it has witchcraft in it, instead of the morals it teaches. The series has little potion recipes in it, but they are not real. Where would a child be able to even find dragon blood, unicorn horn, or murtlap tentacles? They can’t because it does not exist. Kids do like to dress up and pretend they’re wizards, but that’s it. They know that they’re not really witches and wizards, and they are just pretending. The magic in Harry Potter is not real. The spells are basically just words changed to their Latin phrases. The series is not about the magic, it’s about good vs evil. In The Chronicles of Narnia it has a witch in it, but since it has a Christian background so people recognize it for what it is. It’s a book about good vs evil, not about getting kids to join a cult. People need to realize that Harry Potter is the same way, just minus the Christian background.