The Bloodshed Caused by Guns | Teen Ink

The Bloodshed Caused by Guns

By christina27 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
christina27 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Guns...One of the most powerful weapons in the world that can take a person’s life in an instant. Without gun-control laws set in place, more and more innocent people will lose their lives.Many people are dying everyday because of gun violence and they need a right to feel safe in today’s world.  Gun-control should be enforced and is needed for a safer and stable environment  in which people can live.

With gun-control, there will be less mass shootings occurring like school shootings that have occurred in the past. For example, on December 14th, 2012, Adam Lanza shot twenty-six people including adults and children by using his mother’s gun at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, CT (CNN News). This school shooting was caused by the misuse of a gun and shows how easily a person can get a gun. In order to reduce mass shootings like this one, gun-control laws should be established and enforced, like having a security guard check if you have a gun licence before you purchase a gun.

The death rate from gun violence is more than 30,000 people in this country alone (USA Gun Violence Statistics Article). By setting gun-control laws, this number will decrease. For example, the government should enforce the law that only permits authorized people like policemen or people that have a gun license to own and use a gun. By doing this, the death rate will decrease and street shootings will become less frequent because the person with a gun license has experience with guns and knows how to use one properly.

By placing gun-control laws, guns will less likely be possessed by unauthorized citizens like criminals, mentally ill people, and children. “If bans on high-capacity weapons had been in place, the Tucson shooter would not have access to a 33-round handgun, and a great deal of bloodshed could have been prevented. In addition, the system by which people can obtain guns is defective, allowing emotionally disturbed people easy access to deadly weapons” (Gun Control Reform). A person can get a gun anywhere these days. They can get it from a gun store or steal them from peoples’ homes. But this is breaking the Fourth Amendment which talks about peoples’ rights to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects. People are likely to get arrested for robbing someone’s house for a gun so getting arrested and breaking the Fourth Amendment are two very serious crimes a person can commit.

People have the right to own and carry around guns. “The right to own and carry weapons is granted by the Constitution and upheld by the Supreme Court, and that right has already been curtailed enough” (Gun Control Reform). This is true but “it is highly unlikely that armed bystanders could have prevented a crisis such as the one in Tucson and they might have done more harm than good”, says the Gun Control Reform. The Gun Control Reform has  also stated that incidents such as the one in Arizona are rare, and the majority of U.S. gun owners do not represent a threat to society. This statement is false because since 2006, there have been more than 200 mass killings in the United States alone so mass shootings are not rare at all (USA Today). New gun-control laws should be made in order for people to live in a safe environment. For example, a proposed law from President Barack Obama talks about how there needs to be a criminal background check for all gun sales including private sales (The New York Times). By enforcing this law, less criminals will have possession of a gun and in turn, less deaths, burglaries, street shootings, and mass murders will occur. The United States of America will be a secure and safe country for people to live in.

In conclusion, gun-control is needed for a stable and safe society for people to live in without fear. People should have the right to be safe (Marlett). Gun-control will prevent less mass shootings like the tragic Sandy Hook shooting and the Tucson shooting. It will also prevent death and the death rates will go down. If better gun control laws are put into place, guns would not be getting into the wrong hands and all the mass shootings and deaths will end. The feeling of losing a loved one due to guns can be unbearable. People need to stand up for what is right and stop gun violence for all who have suffered through the Sandy Hook shooting, Tucson shooting, or any gun violence that has occurred in the US. We all need to come together as a united country and figure out a plan for gun control to stop this gun madness.

Works Cited
Andy Marlett. “Safe For Christmas: Gun Control, Editorial Cartoon.” USA Today, 20. Dec.
2012. Web. 24 Oct. 2014.
“Behind the Bloodshed: The Untold Story of America’s Mass Shootings.” USA Today. Web.
24 Oct. 2014.
“Gun Control Laws.” Issues & Controversies. Infobase Learning, 17 Dec. 2012. Web. 23 Oct. 2014. 
“Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting:What Happened?” Cable News Network. Web. 21 Oct. 2014.
“USA Gun Violence Statistics.” 2010. Web. 23 Oct. 2014
“What’s in Obama’s Gun Control Proposal?” The New York Times, 15 Jan. 2013. Web.
25 Oct. 2014.