Why I'm Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

Why I'm Proud to be an American

By jlp247 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
jlp247 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

A hurricane wipes out the coast. A war debilitates our own. A country gains a blood supply to avoid running low. And healthcare workers learn proper CPR to save a life. In times of disaster, the American Red Cross steps in to provide relief. This organization represents the United States of America—a land dedicated to helping serve others, educate, and rebuild.

To me, I’m proud to live in America for the roots we have in healthcare, and serving those around us. I’ve dedicated 200 plus hours to volunteering at a local hospital. Volunteering gives me the opportunity to make an impact on anyone who comes through the door. Even though I’m just a volunteer, I strive to make each person feel comfortable. I dedicate my life to serve for a better cause; an American trait represented by non-profits, soldiers, and philanthropists. 

Someday, I hope to become a nurse. I want to be like Clara Barton and live a life that makes a difference. She started the American Red Cross to protect people injured during war. She led the Red Cross for 23 years and started overseas disaster relief. Barton was a person willing to risk her life to bring supplies to soldiers. Even some of her co-workers described her as an angel. In the toughest of situations, she would be calm and make sure that people were taken care of.  

Barton makes me proud to be an American because of her continued work to help others before herself. I envy the passion for others that she gives to the face of an American.

The American Red Cross gives relief from disasters, helps soldiers, conducts blood drives, and gives education to the community. Their mission is to alleviate suffering of people experiencing emergencies. The people who serve at the American Red Cross give their life to serve others, just as I wish to continue doing in the future. Though I might not be able to make the same accomplishments as Barton, I look to her as a role model, and give thanks to her for making my American dream possible.