A Nation Comes Together | Teen Ink

A Nation Comes Together

November 7, 2014
By Edelweiss56 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Edelweiss56 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live, Laugh, Love


September 11, 8:44 a.m. - a clear, beautiful day.
Kids go to schools
Adults go to work
Another day

8:45 a.m. - A plane crashes into the north World Trading Center Tower
Hundreds killed instantly and more are trapped.
The fiery “freak accident” was broadcasted live while survivors run for their lives.
Panic, fear, and dread fill the hearts of the nation as the buildings burn.

9:03 a.m. - A second plane comes into view and veers sharply to hit the south tower.
An explosion from the plane littered ash on the streets like snow.
America was under the attack.
All the nation could do is freeze in its path and watch the disaster on TV.

9:45 a.m. - A third plane hits in Washington D.C., the west side of the Pentagon.
The jet fuel induced explosion caused a portion to collapse.
125 people from inside killed and 64 people in the plane.
The death toll just keeps adding up.

10:00 a.m. - The south World Trading Tower collapses in a cloud of dust and smoke.
More running to keep safe from falling debris.
10:10 a.m. - A plane is taken down by passengers in Western Pennsylvania.
The passengers sacrificed themselves for the lives of many.
10:30 a.m. - The north tower collapses.
Close to 3,000 died. With 10,000 severe injuries.

A national disaster. Death, destruction, mourning. The thick black smoke hung in the air like the despair of the country. Mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins - dead.

But yet, a hope.

People coming from all over the country to clean up, to help, to support. Strangers hugging each other in the streets. Men and women of all races and backgrounds working together to pick up the broken pieces of buildings, families, and pride. Where the nation could have fallen apart in complete chaos and despair, we came together. We came together as one nation, under God, indivisible, for liberty and justice for all.