Why I'm Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

Why I'm Proud to be an American

By benb.2016 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
benb.2016 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

In the United States, people often seem self-sufficient. If you want proof this is not how Americans really are, look at the days following the disaster of 9/11. People from all over came together and helped each other to get this country back on its feet and running again. Americans from all corners of this country came to the aid of those who were hurt in the acts of terrorism. American pride was restored with the acts of helping from those all around.

It’s a common misconception that all Americans are ignorant and selfish. The American foundation was built on a system of sharing and helping your neighbor in order to survive and flourish. In the times of expansion after the Civil War Era, most people were on their own to survive. This was mainly true, except for when people truly needed things. You could call on any of your neighbors and they would be willing to help you--because they know that if they ever needed help, you would be there to help them in their hour of need. This is the true American spirit--one built on helping others and coming together to succeed.

As the years go on and life becomes easier with new technology, it is perceived that we lose sight of our neighborly foundations. This is an idea that people believe but is not true. We always come back, though, as these morals and ethics have been in our blood for generations, and we be with us for years to come.

This American spirit and the simple act of always helping others is the reason that I truly am proud to call myself an American.