Blackfish Blacklisted | Teen Ink

Blackfish Blacklisted

By rreinhardt BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
rreinhardt BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

2013’s notorious film, Blackfish, has put quite a harsh spotlight on SeaWorld and their practices concerning orca whales within the parks; the constant watchful eye of the public is forcing change and alterations in the business. The jaw-dropping documentary sparked opinions and anger all around the world. Blackfish shed light specifically on an orca whale named Tilikum, who has bounced from park to park within SeaWorld and has reports of killing trainers in each of these facilities. The film portrayed that captivity is stressful and unhealthy to the animals, and in effect, causes violence and even death towards SeaWorld’s trainers. This viewpoint is what has caused thousands of people, including celebrities, to rally against SeaWorld and other organizations in alliance with them. Many of SeaWorld's entertainment acts, such as The Barenaked Ladies, have cancelled their performances at SeaWorld due to controversy and not wanting to get in the middle of the gunfire. Although a lot of negativity has been thrown towards SeaWorld and everything they do the parks' revenue and attendance has only slightly faultered. Some believe this is due to all of the publicity and the parks' overall popularity. Whether the practices at SeaWorld are in fact unjust, or perhaps only exaggerated, is still a mystery, but it is in hopes, that the orcas' best interest is in mind and that whatever must or must not be done to ensure that will be put in effect.

This piece is a review including some imput on the famous Blackfish documentary. It sumarizes the film, while supporting the thesis of Seaworld needing to change it's practices due to the constant criticism from the public.