Human Trafficking In Ohio | Teen Ink

Human Trafficking In Ohio

By MakennaMoses BRONZE, Ludlow, Kentucky
MakennaMoses BRONZE, Ludlow, Kentucky

Imagine yourself lying in a small, cramped room on a filthy bed, covered in tattered clothes and having gone days without bathing. Imagine that in the background you hear shouting and strange men arguing. There is a girl huddled next to you, crying, and you both jump as you hear the door slam open to a man standing in the threshold barking orders. Now, I ask you, do you feel afraid? If so, it is nothing compared to the terror thousands of people experience every day, in every state, including Ohio. This is what we call human trafficking.

You may be questioning what human trafficking is exactly, and this is where you find the answer. Human trafficking is modern day slavery where victims are subjected to force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of exploitation in commercial sex or forced labor, according to Central Ohio Rescue and Restore. Thousands of children, teens, men and women are subjected to this torment, regardless of station, race, sex, or age. In regards to the number, a vast majority are women, though men are just as easily victimized.

In Ohio, many courses of action have been taken against this offense, including spreading awareness online, providing available classes to further educate, teaching self defense to any willing participant, spreading the stories of survivors, and so much more. There are many organizations that spread the word against human trafficking, such as Save Our Adolescent from Prostitution (SOAP), Central Ohio Rescue and Restore Coalition (CORRC), and the Salvation Army Anti-Human Trafficking Department.

There are many ways to prevent becoming a victim of human trafficking and help someone you may be concerned is victim currently. Signs include evidence of being controlled or under surveillance, bruises or fear of speaking up, inability to move or leave a job, persistent fear or depression, no documentation, signs of trauma, and excessive work hours. If you have any concern that someone you know may be victim to human trafficking, call the 24 Hour Central Ohio Trafficking Hot-Line: 614-285-4357 (285-HELP). Human trafficking is a serious offense and will only end if awareness is spread; it is up to you to make the difference.

I find this topic very important to address, seeing as the issue is escalating each day and so very few people are truly aware.