Our Greatest Glory | Teen Ink

Our Greatest Glory

By loridoritos BRONZE, Alsip, Illinois
loridoritos BRONZE, Alsip, Illinois

We know what we are, but know not what we may be ~ William Shakespeare

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson. 

In many ways, this quote will mean something to other people, but this is my ideal take on it. 

You know, you can be the perfect student, straight A's, athletic and a perfect personality. Perhaps a prodigy with every talent known to mankind and have the intelligence of Albert Einstein. But you know what? You still aren't that perfect in life.

See, for me, I can ice skate rather well, and never fall. But it doesn't mean I don't trip over shoelaces most of the times. I can play the piano swiftly and smooth, with almost no mistakes and graceful fingers. Yet, I still play the wrong notes during my lessons. Even while writing small stories, speeches or even a freeverse poem, it doesn't always mean that my writing is perfect and shouldn't need to be revised over.

I've failed, embarrassed myself, been movked, and made stupid mistakes plenty of times., but I can do what most people can't, which is getting back up and fixing the situation at hand.. Some people I know cry over mistakes they did on a test, or have a B on one subject in school, but A's on everything else and be upset over it. I'm not like them, they can cry me a river of tears, and I'll build a stone bridge, walk, and get over it. You can't choose what you've done wrongly in life, but you can choose what you'll do about it. 

For me, I can't worry about stupid little mistakes when I have my inner demons to face with, and I don't need to worry about being perfect for everything, and you don't need to do that either. 

It's pretty clear that we're not perfect and that our souls can even be tainted with flaws. But when I look for perfection, I don't need to see it in a prodigy, a brainiac or a musician. I decide to find it within our rising up and being simply glorious.