discrimination against girls who play softball | Teen Ink

discrimination against girls who play softball

By brittany.lara BRONZE, Hemet, California
brittany.lara BRONZE, Hemet, California

"adventure is out there" "don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

Everyday the male gender is discriminating young girls about playing sports. I honestly don’t understand what they’re problem with girl athletes are. Is it because they’re afraid we might do better than them, that we might get hurt, or that we are going to embarrass ourselves? Don’t worry guys, we can handle ourselves. But guys, if you are scared, well; maybe you should just focus on your own division.  But there is one sport that gets me the most and it’s fast pitch softball.
Fast pitch softball is a sport that takes determination, heart, strength, intelligence, and girl players. If you teach something to a girl and she finds it interesting she will most likely fall in love with it. If she stays in love with it she will be determined to do her best with it. With softball, each and every girl on the team falls in love with the game. You can talk to each one of the players and they would tell you that they are determined to do what ever it takes to play the game. Even though it isn’t a life long thing we can do, it is a life long dream to have. Throughout the determination we gain strength. We work hard and sweat everyday. We win our games because we choose to work out and gain muscle. We also work our intelligence.  Base running, where to hit the ball, strategies, tactics, basic smarts, you are always awake and at attention. You have to work hard to get to the top.
Now that you know what softball really is, why hate on it? Guys have the same thoughts about their sports, no matter what sport. You are determined and that makes you a good player. You play hard, bond with your team, grow, and become smarter, what’s the difference from when girls do it? We aren’t as fragile as you think, we aren’t tiny, daisy flowers; we are strong women. We are here to speak out, support ourselves, and even defend our team. We choose to do what we want, we don’t need your judgment taunting us everywhere we go. Just because we brush off your hurtful words doesn’t mean its okay to keep saying them. We are stronger than you think and will one day become stronger than you. We are no different, we just want equality. It is just a sport, but it’s a seriously taken sport, so don’t think I wont stand here and defend it.
The discrimination against us girl athletes can stop now. You have the knowledge that we can do our sports. Next time you go to judge a girl on her sport don’t think she wont snap back because that sport has a second family behind it and she is prepared to defend that family.

i love to play softball and i feel like this issue comes up alot. guys just cant find a reason to like that girls can play sports and be good at it. maybe they like us playing because we look good doing it, but they just cant wrap their heads around the fact the we play sports because we are good at it.