Who's Really in Prison? | Teen Ink

Who's Really in Prison?

July 24, 2014
By ssaammaanntthha SILVER, Garden City, Michigan
ssaammaanntthha SILVER, Garden City, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.”


Have you ever noticed how good criminals have it? Their living conditions aren't great but they aren't bad. Tax payers understand how frustrating it is to keep providing them with money to keep prisons up and running. They ask the question "Why am I paying for a criminal to live in a nice place?" It’s true, people who are in prison no matter the crime get food to eat, a place to sleep, heat, air, showers, some even offer them cable and books. Who pays for all that? You got it, tax payers. I don’t really understand why. How come people who got sent away to prison because they did something that made them so dangerous they can’t be on the street have such nice living arrangements? How come they get TV and a bed, nice warm meals, showers etc...? I find it unbelievable that this is allowed. How come the tax payer’s money isn’t going to our schooling? How come most schools don’t have air conditioning, or a heating system that works properly? How come we can’t afford new books, and working computers? How come the supplies we use are in terrible condition? Why can’t the tax payer’s money go to things like that? Wouldn't that make more sense? Wouldn't it make sense to have a good environment for our kids to work in, with good supplies and books that aren't falling apart? I guess not. The living conditions in prisons are so good that people that are homeless try to do bad things so they can get sent there, so they can have a warm meal and a shower. I personally think that’s bad. Prison isn’t supposed to be a place you want to go, it was made to punish people. Think about it in the logical sense, wouldn’t it make more sense to have the homeless shelters as prisons and prisons as homeless shelters? Why are we treating criminals so good? Why do they live in such great conditions some don’t mind being there? Isn’t there something wrong with that? I do find it sad that prisons have air and heat, but some public schools don’t because they can’t afford it. Doesn’t that make you mad? Or unsure of what is going on in the government? Kids go to school to learn and they can’t do that in a crappy environment. Imagine how much better it would be if more of the tax payer’s money went towards schooling, and getting things to help educate kids. Instead of giving people in prisons a nice place to live. I feel bad for people in homeless shelters, they sleep on a cot, they get god knows what for a meal, and it’s basically just a roof over their heads. Now if it was switched around and the living conditions of a homeless shelter were like prisons no one would want to go there, no one would do anything bad, and I guarantee there would be less crime, because let’s face it, that would be a terrible place to live. You start to understand why people in homeless shelters want to go to prison because it’s better than where they are living. I know tax payers aren’t happy having their hard earned money taken to help fund prisons. Basically rewarding the criminals. Good Job America.