World's Greatest Inventions | Teen Ink

World's Greatest Inventions

June 30, 2014
By RachelReads SILVER, Milton, Other
RachelReads SILVER, Milton, Other
9 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
All our dreams can come true, as long as we have the courage to pursue them.


At 2 AM; when the lights are off and you’re supposed to be asleep, have you ever had some late night thoughts? I’m not talking about, “I should definitely sleep, I have school in the morning,” I’m talking about, “wow fridges are cool inventions.” (Pun intended) Think about it, someone wanted to keep their food from rotting so they created a cooling device. Now imagine the world without the invention of fridges. No more ice-cream, no chilly, refreshing soda and no more cold milk to put in your cereal. The horror, especially if you happen to live off cereal for dinner. But really, life without refrigerators wouldn’t be cool.
I’ve always questioned everything I’ve ever known and been taught to believe. I tend to think more about things that no one really cares about. Can you believe that we humans have created the ability to put thoughts into words? A long time ago, a group of people decided that they wanted to put their words on paper and so they did. Before that, someone wondered how we could ever communicate, and thus, words were created. Don’t stop there, how about where words originated, who decided the word ‘cat’ would be entitled to a fluffy animal or ‘love’ would describe a feeling? We’ve created letters which are just strokes and curves; put them together, and given those letters sounds and names. All of this happened because humans wanted to communicate; they wanted to give a meaning to meanings. We have the ability to create just by putting our minds to work.
One thing you probably couldn’t live without: the internet. Without the internet, we wouldn’t have Facebook or Twitter. We wouldn’t have Google the biggest search engine, and we wouldn’t have YouTube. You couldn’t update your status for all your friends to see, search things like “how do I use google?” – If you’re wondering, nearly 5500 searches are from people wondering how to use google- and you couldn’t watch funny cat videos online. I’m debating if I would have a better social life without the internet. I should probably stop going on YouTube to watch ‘Charlie the Unicorn’ videos. Remind me why I have no friends. Anyway, without the internet, you’d have to go back to the Encyclopedia to do an essay, and actually look in a phone book to find your friends. But don’t worry, thankfully the internet’s there to help you.
While you’re up at 2 AM contemplating your life choices and dreaming about cats, feel free to be in awe of how amazing fridges, words, the internet, and anything else you can think of, are. Yes, Netflix, Nutella, and iPhones are amazing inventions, but so are wheels, antibiotics, and doors, because everyone needs some privacy to hide their impressive stuffed animal collection.


The author's comments:
Yes, Netflix, Nutella, and iPhones are amazing inventions, but so are wheels, antibiotics, and doors, because everyone needs some privacy to hide their impressive stuffed animal collection.