Why the Equal Rights Amendment Matters for You | Teen Ink

Why the Equal Rights Amendment Matters for You

By LilyG BRONZE, Carlsbad, California
LilyG BRONZE, Carlsbad, California
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Too many.

Hi everyone,
As you all know, my name is Lily, and I’m currently the co-chair of the Advocacy Committee. I’ve been a part of GGB for two years now, and I wanted to thank all of you for a successful second year-- I think we have all matured so much since the beginning and we’ve done great work together.

I’ve been interested in advocacy and politics since I was very young, and that’s why I joined the advocacy committee here. That’s why I’m running for chair of the committee. Over the past two years, I have worked tirelessly to make advocacy a strong facet of Girls Give Back. We have worked with two major bills- The Healthy Media for Youth Act and currently, the ERA (Equal Rights Amendment). We have met with legislators, and we were recently able to meet with Congresswoman Susan Davis herself, which is such a big step for our committee and GGB as a whole. I also am heavily involved in advocacy outside of GGB; I’m a member of AIPAC and attended the 2013 policy conference in Washington, D.C., where I lobbied a resolution to Congresswoman Davis. I am currently working on passing gun control legislation, and this summer will be working for the Democratic Party in D.C as a member of the Young Democrats of America organization.

I love leadership. I have such a strong passion for government and advocacy, and I think this dedication will help me serve as your chair. I feel that I am the strongest candidate to head the Committee and, together, we will make it an even stronger force than it is now. I would be honored to serve you all as Chair of the Advocacy Committee. Thank you.

(Speech for Ceremony)

Hi everyone,
Thank you for coming out here today to celebrate another successful year of GGB. My name is Lily, and I’m a sophomore. I am currently the co-chair of the Advocacy Committee here at GGB. Advocacy is such an essential part of Girls Give Back. The ability to be a part of the lawmaking process is such a special thing about our democracy, and we have the chance to be involved in it at such a young age. Advocacy has been the most effective way women have won the rights we have, and it’s still so important to continue to make sure that women’s issues are on the mind’s of our politicians. In the past two years, we have started two campaigns supporting the Healthy Media for Youth Act and the ERA, or Equal Rights Amendment. We have met with representatives for Senator Diane Feinstein, and last week, we met with Congresswoman Susan Davis herself to urge her to co-sponsor House Joint Resolution 43, a resolution that would eliminate the deadline for ratifying the ERA. We are also currently in the middle of a social media project that aims to spread awareness about the ERA. Women are now more involved in politics than ever before, and it’s so encouraging and amazing to be part of a group of girls who have the same passion for these issues as I do. -- Kelila and Mara

Girls Give Back is an organization based in San Diego that aims to provide teenage girls with the tools they need to become successful leaders.
For the past year, GGB has partnered with United 4 Equality to get the ERA passed in 2015.