Friends | Teen Ink

Friends

By -emma- GOLD, Miami, Florida
-emma- GOLD, Miami, Florida

I'm like a child who belongs to nobody
~Lana Del Rey~

Everyone comes into your life as a lesson or a blessing. Some friends last a full lifetime, others last for a numbered amount of days. The sad thing about friends is that they are the ones that disappoint and hurt you the most. Over the years I have learned who my true friends are and I have also learned who was never really my true friend. Everyone thinks that their closest friends will never turn on them, but the sad thing is that people surprise you.

I had a best friend that I saw as a sister. She was there for me through thick and thin. No matter how tough times got I knew I can always call her and she will be there for me. We were always hip to hip, some even called us sisters. I never imagined in a million years us splitting up.

We talked about going to college together, celebrating big birthdays, being each other’s bridesmaids, having kids together. We took vacations together and were always at each other’s houses. Than in a blink of an eye she stopped talking to me. I called and texted and never received a message or a call. I would see her in person and she looked past me like as if we never knew each other. She would refuse to speak to me in person or over the phone.

Weeks later, still till this day we have not spoken and I do not even know what I did wrong. This proves to me that she was never my true friend because true friends do not turn their backs on each other like that. I stopped trying to reach out and talk things out because there is no point on trying if she does not care about fixing things. I just cannot wrap my head around the whole situation. It happened out of nowhere and so quickly.

I do not regret the friendship that we had nor do I miss it. It was great in the moment and we were there for each other, but it can never go back to how it was because of everything that has happened between now and then. Sometimes great things have to come to an end because nothing lasts forever. The friendship had its purpose and now it is time to move on. We were great together but now I am closer to my other friends and as well as she is closer to her other friends.

I realized that I do not need to reach out to her anymore because she has not tried reaching out to me. So at the end of the day, she was never really my friend. Like I said sometimes the closest people disappoint you the most. Unfortunately, she was a lesson but I have two really close friends that have been there since I was a baby, and have ridden the roller coaster through life with me and are still on it. friends like that are blessings