Sex Trafficking | Teen Ink

Sex Trafficking

April 24, 2014
By saviesmileslots PLATINUM, Willis, Texas
saviesmileslots PLATINUM, Willis, Texas
26 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Our fingerprints dont fade from the lives we touch


When we think of slavery, we think of African Americans forced to work, work without pay. When we think of slavery we think of Lincoln solving the problem, little do we know slavery didn’t stop with Lincoln. When we think of slavery we don’t think about reality of it today.

Today where 5$ will get you a girl in West Africa for an hour. Today where every thirty seconds a girl becomes a slave to the sex industry. Today where in the two minutes you have been on Twitter, four girls have been used for sex. Today where girls at age thirteen are forced to sleep with a man three times her age. Today where they are drugged so that they cannot fight back. Today when they are beaten till they cannot open their eyelids.

No. When we think about slavery, we don’t think about a young girl having her innocence stripped away and asking “why”? We don’t think about the pre teen in India, whose parents sold her for money. We don’t think about the three hundred thousand girls that are at risk for human trafficking just in the United States, or the twenty seven million that are forced to be in the industry globally.

No. We don’t think about the fact that child pornography is legal in Japan. Of course we don’t think about it. We are too consumed with our daily lives, with our tv shows, with our relationships. Why would we think about Japan when we cannot even care about our city which is one of the highest sex trafficking city’s in the United States?

When we think of sex slavery, we think there are plenty of people to help those in need, while innocent children get their purity stripped from them as they are praying to a god asking if anyone cares.

The only problem we have with thinking about sex slavery is that we don’t. The only problem we have with solving the problem is we think we can’t. The only problem we have with doing something about it is we don’t.


The author's comments:
This piece was wrote while in Indonesia learning about the culture ad the countries around it. The injustice was overwhelming.