The world is in a Crisis | Teen Ink

The world is in a Crisis

By Gokce Yurekli BRONZE, Sayreville, New Jersey
Gokce Yurekli BRONZE, Sayreville, New Jersey

I see a fading future for the world. Our economy is in a downward spiral. We are close to a major disaster. The food crisis in Congo, cholera-sickened civilians in Zimbabwe, the war in Iraq: I can go on and on. There is no end to this list. One thing that bothers me is the lack of interest in these subjects. There are millions and millions of people who have to live under horrific conditions, no food, no money, no jobs. When I look at my life, I see that I live in paradise. I used to think that life wasn't fair for me and that I had no luck whatsoever. Then it hit me, I am luckier than most of the people out there. I have a home, a family, and friends. I don't have to worry about monetary problems in the house. I am relaxed. However, not everyone is lucky like me. I understand that better now. When I see girls my age who have yet to go to school or own a computer, I see the unfairness of our society. Celebrities get millions of dollars for movies, magazines publish pages of pages of junk to earn money, and reality shows depict girls partying / dancing. I used to be addicted to TV shows, now I see no point in watching them.

I wonder if the next generation will be able create a better society for all. I doubt it will happen unless we take notice. Read news. Read something of value. Try to watch news even for 10 minutes. Know what's going on around the world. People are dying. The economy is getting worse.
Help out and Care for a change.