Procrastination | Teen Ink

Procrastination

By Kara26 BRONZE, Mauston, Wisconsin
Kara26 BRONZE, Mauston, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Do you procrastinate? For me, I can answer that in a heartbeat. Yes, I procrastinate all the time. Some projects I actually don't wait til last minute to do. However, most of the time I put them off until there isn't much time to do them. I don't really know why I do this, but I know that it is a bad habit to have.

Some reasons that people may procrastinate are other distractions, no train of thought, and simply not wanting to do it. For example, while writing this paper, I’ve have no train of thought and have pondered between topics, leaving me with not much time to get it done. I’m so bad that I was even playing Spider Solitaire while trying to get this done. I realize that it is wrong and I need to have better time management, but I seem to never listen to the conscience in my head.

Procrastination could even affect your health. If you postpone everything else, it is likely that you may do the same with treatment for an illness. When you delay tasks, you are put under pressure and it causes you stress. That can weaken your immune system which could then lead to illness.

In addition, as you get older, being a procrastinator does not get any easier. For instance, if you delay work in school, it may affect your grades, which may affect the college you get into, which could affect your job and lead into a hard life. Long story short, stop procrastinating while you can so you don’t turn into a loser.

It may take some time and effort to quit procrastinating. One way to accomplish this is to set goals and reward yourself when you accomplish them. Another way would be to create a schedule and stick to it. Lastly, put yourself in a distraction-free environment. Get rid of anything that will keep you from doing your work.

Some people do perform well under pressure, but just think how well they could do if they used all of the time they had. I don’t think anybody will ever be procrastination-free. I will try to take my own advice, but I might have to think about it for awhile. Hopefully, time will tell if I end up using my time more wisely.

Emily25 BRONZE said...
Emily25 BRONZE, Mauston, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Love the voice!