My New Cousin | Teen Ink

My New Cousin

November 11, 2008
By tutucute GOLD, Tucson, Arizona
tutucute GOLD, Tucson, Arizona
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
A true friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you

Our love is like the wind, you can't see it, but you can feel it. -A Walk to Remember

I dance not because I love it, but because I couldn't live without it.


Emma Grace sleeps peacefully, swaddled in a soft, pink blanket. I cradle her in my arms, her head resting on my chest. Her fine blonde hair tickles my bare arm, light as a whisper. Her tiny eyelids are gently closed, but flicker occasionally in her undisturbed sleep, no doubt dreaming. Her delicate nose twitches and her slight fingers clench into a fist. I marvel at my new little cousin, only a few hours old, so precious and fragile, yet emanating life.
Its mind boggling, this baby in my arms will one day grow up to be a toddler, taking her first steps. A child when she proudly shows off her reading skills as she reads aloud her first chapter book. As a teenager when she has her first heart break. And as an adult, pursuing her dreams and taking control of her own life.
She will have her own opinions and views on life. She already makes them known as she scrunches her face and turns her head. She has her own, unique talents; whether it’s drawing or calculating math equations, designing, or creating.
All in this tiny baby is the power to change the world.