What Really Matters | Teen Ink

What Really Matters

March 12, 2014
By Anonymous

What is the meaning of life? A huge question that everyone seems to have their own personal opinion about. But is it really that simple? Is it relative or is there an actual right and wrong answer? Is there even such thing as absolute truth? Contrary to what most people would say, there is, in fact, one definite meaning to life, and no, it is not a matter of opinion.

A popular philosophy nowadays is to just do whatever pleases you. As long as it makes you happy, go for it. The idea of tolerance goes hand in hand with this way of thinking. Anything goes as long as it works for you and does not infringe on anyone else’s rights. Truth is relative and everyone has their own convictions. No one is in any position to judge others’ actions, and if you do, you are considered a hater. These people believe that there is no absolute truth so anyone can do whatever they please. If there is nothing more to life than existing, then of course do whatever you wish. It would be ridiculous to live an empty boring life if this is the only chance we will ever get.

A similar idea is hedonism, which is literally the belief that happiness and pleasure is the highest good and is the only goal in life. This implies more of an outward indulging in these personal pleasures rather than just sitting back and letting the world do as they wish. Culture emphasizes this idea, saying that “you deserve it” and “YOLO”. The money hungry movie producers of today bombard people with the desire for money, fame, and sex and encourage them to “live it up now because life is short”. Someday though, all the material things and all the good feelings will run out and someone will be left lonely and depressed.

If humans came from nothingness and will return to nothingness after death, then why not hold these philosophies to be true? There is not really much else to live for but pleasure. If humans have no value or purpose and are just an accident of nature, they have no lasting hope or real sense of worth. Therefore, the only thing that brings any meaning to life is the existence of some kind of higher being. God is the only solution to all the sorrow and emptiness that comes from these other ways of life. He created the world and He created humans for His glory, a purpose that none of the pleasures of this world will ever satisfy. Not only does He care for them, but he send His only Son as a living sacrifice to save them from eternal punishment. After He rose up out of the grave, He made a promise that those who believe, even without seeing, are guaranteed a place in heaven for eternity.

God does not stop there. He wants to have a personal relationship with every man and woman, boy and girl. He loves them more than human knowledge can even begin to fathom and He will never stop loving them. Just the fact that God, in all his greatness and power, would care to know each person’s name and create a perfect plan for their life is absolutely beyond understanding. He will never break His promise and He always knows what is best. God is the hope that humans are meant to have and He is the only One who will satisfy the soul. Investing time in the things of God is what really matters in life, for their effects will last for eternity. Isaiah 41:10 says, “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”