Grandma and Grandpa's House | Teen Ink

Grandma and Grandpa's House

October 24, 2008
By Anonymous

Do you have a place that has always been “magical” or special to you? I do, mine is at my grandma and grandpa’s house. Their house is always happy and exciting. One of my favorite memories is at Christmas eight years ago.



Years ago, around Christmas time, I remember driving 12 hours all the way to the tip of Upper Michigan. I was so bored and frustrated how long the ride took in the winter storm. The only part that kept me from complaining was knowing that we were soon going to be at grandpa and grandmas house.


As I ran from the cold winter storm I was welcomed to the warmth of their small home by the delicious scent of candles and cookies coming out of the oven and then “bear hugs” from grandma and then grandpa. As my mom and dad were bringing the bags in from the car I was greeted by aunts, uncles, and cousins. We all sat around the living room talking about the events of last year. I never understood what everyone was talking about, since I was only five, but I loved every moment as cookies and candy were passed around. One of the things that I remember the most was the special warmth. Everyone was laughing into the scented candles and into the glow of the gorgeous Christmas tree.


The next day was Christmas Eve. People were smiling all day long through all the excitement. I remember that after everyone had breakfast and gotten dressed we all bundled up in our winter clothes, excited to go play in the snow. Outside was beautiful, there was a fresh layer of sparkling white snow that covered all the pine trees. Soon grandpa came outside with a roar as he brought out the four-wheeler! He dragged us on a sled through the woods and in circles. We all had so much fun! Later, inside, we sang Christmas Carols and played games together. Soon it was time for the Christmas Dinner… it was delicious! A couple minutes after 11 O’clock, it was time for us to go to bed. I remember falling asleep thinking of Santa coming with a huge bag of presents scattered beneath the beautiful Christmas tree.


I ran from my bed as I watched the clock’s second hand just past the 7 O’ clock mark. I ran around waking up everyone. I hurried out t o see underneath the lights and shiny bulbs were a bunch of neatly rapped presents.
I gazed around in awe at the beautiful gifts. I quickly looked to see how many were mine and how big they were. Then I looked at my stocking that was filled with candy and other small toys. Soon everyone else came out with coffee in their hands and tired smiles on their faces. As we started to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus, I again felt that special warmth and happiness.


After all the gifts were open and the floor was covered in ribbons and wrapping paper I started to play with all my gifts. I remember my favorite toys were my first bitty baby American Girl Doll, a make up kit, and dress-up clothes.


After a few days at grandma and grandpa’s house we soon gathered all our things and left for the long ride home to Rockford, Michigan. That Christmas was one of the favorite times in my life and still is, for many reasons. One is seeing my family, love, the beautiful presents, and happiness. I know I will never forget that Christmas at grandma and grandpa’s house.