Focusing is Rewarding | Teen Ink

Focusing is Rewarding

Staying on task is not as easy as it looks. During school, kids are bored, tired, and just want to go home. Therefore, they do not stay focused and they have dozens of thoughts popping on their heads. This causes kids to get sidetracked and lose focus on what they are doing. This leads to having either a bad grade, losing privileges, which causes you to be depressed; when you get things taken away. It makes it even harder to focus.

There are many reasons why kids are sidetracked. Especially teenagers, they are entering high school or junior high; there is peer pressure, drugs and more. Everyone is asking you to try new things. Teenagers say they are either tired, teachers or classes bore them, their friends can be/are distracting, or sports are in the way. These are some reasons why it is hard for people to stay focused. Some are understandable, but others are just excuses. The classes and teachers bore them is lamest excuse, not everything in life is going to be fun.

Sports are an understandable reason, but when you don’t stay focused at school. You do not get a good grade, which means no more sports. Sports are distracting because you are thinking about the big game this week. Or, how you can get more time and prove to your coach you’re better than that person. So, like the saying “School comes before sports,” was said for a reason.

A big distraction is relationships. Boys and girls are trying to figure out how they can spend time with each other. While they are doing schoolwork; which makes it tough since they already have other things going on their minds.

There are many reasons why you should focus. First, you will get good grades, and both you and your parents will be proud. Then you will not be kicked off the sports team and you will get your privileges back. Another reason is, after you get your work done. You have all the time in the world to do what you want. You can go hang with your boyfriend/girlfriend or even go see a movie with your friends.

You can also go to the gym, practice the sport you are playing, so you can get better, and prove to your coach that you have gotten better. Then he/she might start to think more about you. This will make you happy and you will stay on task more often.

Focusing might sound and be hard, but there are a few ways to do so. Organization is the key point. Always keep a planner with you and write down of the tasks you need to complete before tomorrow. Putting them in order from more to less important will make it even easier. Other ways to staying on task are asking questions, participating, and looking forward to the next topic.

If staying on task is a problem for you, your grades will be affected. If you don’t pay attention in class and listen to what the homework or directions are. Your grades can start going downhill and will be a pain to rise.

There are ways to prevent from getting sidetracked. As I said before just stay organized. That is the key to staying on task. If you can do all this, you will probably go far in life. For example; when you are about to apply for a job, they will check to see if you are organized or if you are sidetracked easily. If you are organized and able to focus better and you will probably be able to find a good job and live a happy life.

Staying focused should always be an important part in your life. No matter how old or young you are. You can be 10 to even 100 years old. As a kid, focusing gets you a good grade; which preps you for the years ahead. As an adult, focusing will help you get a good job. It is so important; it is a matter of life or death. Why, because if you are not paying attention during driving, surgery, or whatever. Then you loose focus. BAM‼ You are gone.