School uniforms | Teen Ink

School uniforms

There is an ongoing discussion in this nation about school uniforms, whether or not they help with behavior problems, and increase test scores.
As a student at Delta Middle School, I do not want school uniforms.

, a sixth grade student at Delta Middle School, when asked about school uniforms said, “No, I don’t like them, because they are uncomfortable, and make you feel like you are in your church clothes all the time.” I don’t like school uniforms because they take away student’s individuality.

Dr. Alan Hilfer, senior psychologist in Brooklyn’s Children’s and Adolescent Unit at Maimonides Medical Center states:

"Clothes are a source of expression for children, and as kids get older, they become increasingly resentful of uniforms….By instituting a uniform policy, schools are taking away kids’ individuality”

“Student uniform use was not significantly correlated with any of the school commitment variables such as absenteeism, behavior, or substance use (drugs). In addition, students wearing uniforms did not appear to have any significantly different academic preparedness, proschool attitudes, or peer group structures with proschool attitudes than other students.”

One area that might be of concern is the lessening of gang related problems, and fashion wars. A study published in 1995, by Lillian O. Holloman, a clothing and textiles professor at Virginia Polytechic Institute and State University, entitled Violence and Other Antisocial Behaviors in Public Schools: Can Dress Codes Help Solve the Problem? Explores the problems the students can get into because of the way they dress. The study says:
“Gang colors and insignias, whether worn intentionally or unintentionally, can get a student jumped or worse. Status clothes, such as team jackets of professional sports teams, leather coats and designer sneakers, have led to thefts, sometimes by knife or at gunpoint.”

Most of the articles that I have read about whether wearing school uniforms changes behavior and increases test scores, are inconclusive. Most of the time other rules are put into place along with the school uniforms, which may lead to a desired behavior. However, the uniform itself cannot be entirely responsible for the change.

Middle School/ Junior High is a time of maturing, physically, mentally, academically, and emotionally. Schools need to create an environment that encourages student’s individuality and motivate them to challenge themselves and inspire self confidence. I feel that school uniforms diminish creativity and self expression.

I think that one of the reasons is that people want school uniforms is to try to stop kids that are rebellious but all that will is give them is one more reason to act up.
“Some say that a child in a school uniform is more likely to take school seriously. Putting on the school uniform signals that he or she is going to school much like dad dresses up for work. Schools report that when students dress in “Work Clothes” rather than “Play clothes”
They take a more serious approach to their studies” Says Isaac Grauke of evening news.com
I personally think that no matter what you ware it won’t make a difference of how much attention you pay.