My Hands

I don’t want to be judged for my hair. I don’t want to be judged for my makeup. Or my clothes or my jewelry. I want to be judged for my hands.

Not that there’s anything spectacular about my hands. But my hands are probably the main thing that defines me. Because my hands create.

It’s a remarkable feeling you get when you realize you’ve created something—an object, an idea, a feeling, anything—because it couldn’t have come into existence without you. Nobody else in the entire world thinks in the perfectly exact way you do. Anything that you think, anything that you make, is unique.

I love my hands. My hands are what I write with. My fingers are what relay the tiny ideas in my head to a keyboard or piece of paper. My hands play the piano. Each little finger touches a different key, producing a collection of tiny notes that combine and weave together to form a musical masterpiece. My hands compose their own music, new sounds that nobody else came up with. Even when I dislike the things I’ve written, the things I’ve composed, the things I’ve played, at least I can say that they’re mine.

Hands convert thoughts to actions to creations. They are quite possibly the most important part of all of us. So don’t judge me for what I look like. Judge me for my hands and the things I create. Because our ideas and creations are far more stunning than exterior appearances.

So create something beautiful.

Emilile7 said...
Sept. 1, 2014 at 12:02 am
Um, this is genious! I wasn't gonna read this but my eyes caught the line saying to judge you by your hands and I thought "huh. That's different." So I read it and I love it! It seems like most of your writing is unique and more of an abstract thought, which I like. I have to ask though, and if you don't mind, what made you think of writing about this?

luv2bLDS This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you! I wrote this when I was going through a time in my life where I had a lot of insecurity because everyone around me seemed so perfect and I was so far from it...which got me thinking that even though I'm totally flawed, everyone else was too, just in ways that I couldn't see. So I started thinking about how nice it would be if we paid more attention to the things we do than how we come across. That's basically what inspired me to write this piece. Thanks for your feedback! :)