The Game of Life | Teen Ink

The Game of Life

By Anna45 SILVER, Allentown, New Jersey
Anna45 SILVER, Allentown, New Jersey

But I knew that was what he wanted, even as the lot echoed with the cracks of the shot, even as I begged silently-please not him, not him and Johnny both-I knew he would be dead, because Dally Wintson wanted to be dead and he always got what he wanted

Life is a great big game. And, like in any game, there are losers and winners. There is life and death. There are burger flippers at McDonalds and CEOs at Apple. There is heads and tails. There are straight A students and High-school dropouts.

Everyone starts at the same square on the board of life. Everyone uses the same dice. Everyone has the same ability to succeed.

Not every game piece looks the same. Not every game piece gets a 6 on every roll. Not every game piece wants to play.

Some game pieces stop caring about the context of the game. All they worry about is reaching the finish line, regardless of if they're 1st place or 100th place.

Some game pieces give up halfway. They decide that this game is impossible, that there is no way to win, no reason to win.

Some game pieces push theirselves all the way, using a false prize as motivation. Because there is no prize for 1st. Or 2nd. Or 3rd.

Life isn't a competition. It isn't measured by your grades, or job, or family, or money. Life is about you. About what you want. About where and when you want it.

There's no race. We're all heading to the same place. It doesn't matter if it takes 500 rolls or 10 rolls. It doesn't matter if you take a break and enjoy the view. It doesn't matter if you win.

Because, truthfully, the real winners are the ones who enjoy the game. You haven't won if you haven't had fun. There's no reason to celebrate if you have no one to celebrate with. There's no point in playing if you're playing to win.

Because you should play for YOU. Because it's what you want. If you want to quit, then by all means quit. If you want too speed ahead, no ones going to stop you. If you want to play the game for all it's worth, then I suggest you do that.

You are not rushed. You are not timed. Life is not a measure of speed. Not a measure of your wealth. Not a measure of your faith. Not a measure of material things. Not a measure of your social standings. It's nothing but a measure of your happiness.

To save you time, I'm going to give you a little spoiler about the game: It's extremely short. It's too short to be playing it with regrets. Most people realized this after its over. And by then it's too late.

So, do me, yourself and the world a favor: live a life you won't regret.

I was at my soccer game, actually I was playing goalie, and this idea just hit me. Life is never about winning or losing. It's not about bad or good things. It's about how you deal with those things. its about seeing beyond the bad things and being happy.