It's Almost Time | Teen Ink

It's Almost Time

By hannahcavender128 SILVER, Independence, Missouri
hannahcavender128 SILVER, Independence, Missouri

"Love is a battlefield" "We all have bruises"

When you're younger, what's the question everyone asks that you never know the true answer to? "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Your answer changes year to year. The first time you're asked is around the time you "graduate" from Kindergarten. You say things like: a princess, a superhero, a cowboy. The kinds of things you see on T.V., in movies.

Then, you hit second grade. You've grown up a little since the first time they ask you, you realized that those things aren't necessarily achievable. They become "out-of-reach" dreams, because an older friend, or an older sibling, or yourself even, says: "It's never going to happen, it's a goal you can't achieve." But, only because you have to "grow up" or "let go". So you change your dream to something more realistic: a teacher, a doctor, a parent.

Then, after leaving you alone for three years they expect you to know what you want to do with your life. By now, you have no idea because all people seem to want to do is bring you down a peg. You think: "Why is MY dream all of a sudden YOUR decision?" Well, that's when you snap because you realize: you don't control my dreams! You decide you won't let people bring you down on what you want to be, what you want to do. You let yourself DREAM.

Then, high school comes. Now you have to STOP DREAMING and get SERIOUS about what you want to do. It's no longer just a dream, it's a possibility getting closer and closer, every day. You really start to realize it's almost time for you to choose, for you to decide, for you to FINALLY answer: What do you want to be when you grow up? It's almost TIME for you to let your dreams become reality, for your dreams to be MORE than dreams. It's almost time...

The changes in our dreams change in such a short amount of time.