Men and Women Were Created Equal | Teen Ink

Men and Women Were Created Equal

By Cory Erickson BRONZE, Duluth, Minnesota
Cory Erickson BRONZE, Duluth, Minnesota

What is discrimination? How can you be discriminated against? Why do you discriminate? Your age, race, religion, national origin, gender, and sexual orientation are amongst the most common reasons that people discriminate. If you are the kind of person who does find themselves discriminating against people for various reasons; may I ask you, why? They are obviously your beliefs, but how did you come to these ideas? If you ask me, any person is the same as me, yourself, and even the person sitting next you.

If you discriminate just because someone might have a darker or lighter skin tone then yourself, doesn't make them any less of a person. We all have the same number of arms, legs, same organs, and same power of intellect, do we not? We are the same as one another, just different physical appearances.

If you discriminate on ideas such as religion, what is your reasoning? I'm assuming that you have some sort of religious belief, whether you are Jewish, Christian, Muslim, or even if you are Atheist it is your belief. Who are you to judge someone on their faith when you have similar beliefs, except someone believes in a different holy figure.

If you discriminate on sexual orientation, you are wasting your time. Why would someone think they have the right to govern someone else’s life, especially if the thing that you think is wrong, is one of the things that makes that person, and many thousands of others happy? If you believe that the bible says it is wrong, do you realize that you are paraphrasing a book that was written nearly 3500 years ago? How can that be justification for denying two humans, who are the same as us, their love and happiness?

Anthony J. D'Angelo once said, “If you believe that discrimination exists, it will." This is exactly why we need everyone on every corner of the earth to realize that every man and every woman was created equal and remain equal. Until then we will always have this idea that there are always going to be people who are lesser than ourselves, and we will not truly live in a free world. Times definitely are changing. So let’s decide to chance for the better of not just ourselves, but rather all of humanity.