civil rights | Teen Ink

civil rights

The murder of the three civil right workers in Mississippi was just one of the outrageous and inhumane events which occurred during the time of the civil rights movement. Civil rights are the human rights that are indicated naturally when a person is born. The civil rights movement aimed at abolishing racial discrimination against African Americans in respect to freedom, dignity and economic and social equality. The movement occurred from the 1950’s to the 1970’s. The fight for civil rights and for freedom under white domination is still an issue today, although luckily less intense than that of which occurred during the movement. The fight for civil rights was a period of courage, demand of respect and equality; it was a fight which was worth fighting for.

I see the movement as a new leaf in the world’s depiction of equality, I see the love and devotion by those who supported the movement in their honesty and hard work in dying for others, and I see the hatred and fear in those who saw that they possessed power which never belonged to them. I believe that those who didn’t turn a blind eye to what was really occurring during this time and risked everything for others rights are heroes. These people such as the three civil rights boys including James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner, are an inspiration to others and those who are truly dedicated to doing what is right. James Chaney the only black out of three was a great inspiration to his younger brother who from the day of his brother’s death became a civil rights activist. These people are perfect examples of what a true human being is suppose to be.

Like all issues there are two sides, groups such as the freedom summer people gathered people willing to risk dignity, time, their body and life for the purpose in pursuing the movements point while those who felt stripped of power rebelled against those who were fighting for an essential, something which all people should automatically have, freedom.

Many inspirational people sacrificed their life to the work in the civil rights movement, many honourable people like Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, the 3 civil rights boys and many others are examples of these courageous individuals. The summer freedom people and others in support for civil rights wanted freedom and respect for the African Americans; they fought and died for people to be treated like people. Others such as the white folk in the southern states of America and Ku Klux Klan members rebelled the idea of blacks having rights, as in their eyes they were seen as merely insignificant.

In the small towns where most of the main hatred and corruption occurred the unsupportive groups such as the Ku Klux Klan thought of themselves as god, they were the law in these small towns and therefore that meant they had the right to do anything they wanted including killing anyone they wanted, they saw themselves superior to others and were willing to do anything they could to keep themselves away from mingling with the coloured races. For they saw interacting with them was making them just the same as them and they dared not to be depicted as animals, although they really were.

Groups such as the KKK are hideous beings who shouldn’t have the privilege to be called human, these beings took people’s lives based on colour and indifference. We are so lucky to live in the times in which we do for we live amongst people who don’t portray hate, jealousy or racism in the ways which were expressed during the movement. The consequences for doing nothing, but being black, Jewish or something that the Anglo-Saxon Christian, KKK members didn’t approve of meant that you were likely to be in store for many life threatening events.

The movement did in fact encourage more critical events, although it was a sacrifice the summer freedom people, blacks and other supporters where going to face either way, and truthfully I see that at least there sacrifice came at the cost of standing up for themselves, freedom and respect, an honourable action rather than giving in to cowards dressed in Halloween costumes and attacking people who aren’t what the majority of one town think people should be, white.

stevo said...
on Nov. 1 2008 at 5:46 am
Danielle, I could not have expressed my emotions any better. This is an incredible and moving piece that is written with passion. The piece was well thought out and very mature and imformative!

Nermin said...
on Oct. 30 2008 at 8:11 am
Danielle, this truly is an incredible and well-thought out article. Your passion in writing about the civil rights movement was pronounced throughout this entire piece; and I'm moved. Please keep writing like this; about things that matter to all of us.

Nora said...
on Oct. 25 2008 at 7:39 am
This article is very moving in revealing emotion and feeling on the topic of civil rights. this is a wrothy issue of debate and one of which many people should read.

Elle said...
on Oct. 25 2008 at 7:37 am
This article presents the authors courage in presenting her view on this delicate issue, her view is mature and very informative.

Rosey said...
on Oct. 25 2008 at 6:52 am
I believe that in this article the author portrayed their opinion clearly and passionately. This article pinpoints the right doings of the civil rights activists and shows that people can do the right thing. Well done to the author for showing that people, no matter what race or colour, are equal.