The Voice of Empathy- What Makes Us Human | Teen Ink

The Voice of Empathy- What Makes Us Human

October 16, 2008
By Anonymous

We have a duty to care for one another. As humans, the only thing that distinguishes us from other animals is the sense of loyalty embedded in our souls. You may not always feel it, and certainly we don’t always show it, but it’s there. It’s in each and every one of us. That subtle voice, you know the one, deep in tone, calm in nature, the one that sympathizes and empathizes, and though we may not listen, it’s still there and it talks to us.

“Help that brother over there,” it says

“Check up on that sister down the street.”

IT IS THERE! The question isn’t whether it’s talking to you; the question is “are you listening?”

“I can’t hear it!” you cry out

Is it that you can’t hear it or is it that you don’t WANT to hear it?

Don’t you know you are your brother’s keeper?!

The great Maya Angelou once said, “We are more than keepers of our brothers and sisters. We ARE our brothers and sisters.”

So what is my purpose, you may ask. My purpose is to open your ears and hearts to the pleading voice of empathy. It cries out to us everyday, we’re just too narcissistic to listen. But I’m begging each and every one of you to listen. Because if you listen, and you listen, and you listen, one day when you need a hand, he’ll be there to give you one, and she’ll be there to give you one, and I’ll be there to give you one, and we can all coexist in a thriving manner, caring for and helping each other. Empathy doesn’t see race, gender, religion, or nationality. It only sees the human it creates in us and the needs we all have.

Just listen.
Clear your minds and hearts and listen.
Let empathy make a human out of you.

The author's comments:
My goal is for us all to realize the things we need to change in ourselves to make life better for ourselves and others