What's the Best Way to Change the World? | Teen Ink

What's the Best Way to Change the World?

By madi_28z BRONZE, Falls Church, Virginia
madi_28z BRONZE, Falls Church, Virginia

Kill people every day in wars and nobody bats an eye. Kill an animated dog and everyone loses their minds. I read this on an “Everyone Loses their Minds” meme a few days ago. Like hundreds of people, I was shocked when Family Guy decided to kill off a Brian, a beloved character for years. But that’s a different topic.

Skeptical Third World Kid memes. Everyone Loses their Minds memes. You Know What Really Grinds my Gears memes. Ever since being an internet addict, I’ve come across several memes and general internet discussions about what really matters. You’re telling me you take a dump in perfectly clean water? You know what really grinds my gears? When we live in a world where people get upset over Twinkies instead of poverty. Kill people every day in wars and nobody bats an eye. Kill an animated dog and everyone loses their minds. Countless times, I’ve seen people trying to make others think. Very rarely, however, have I read one of these memes and become inspired to make my world a better place.

Neither have most of internet meme readers.

Why is this? I’m going to be blunt with my answer: because it doesn’t affect us. In 2012, Hostess announced their removal of Twinkies, causing chaos in the American community. Twinkies were important to some people as they were memories of childhoods or great snacks at social gatherings. Why were little factory made cakes so important to them?

I have a theory. Please note that everything I’m about to state is based purely on opinion and I have no factual evidence for support. People have comfort zones and, hence the name, are comfortable with it. So once something that a person has grown up with and has always been a big part of their life is taken away, it causes a bit of distress. For all girls or guys who played with Barbie dolls – imagine Mattel announcing that they will no longer be selling Barbies. Would you be upset? Most likely, and for good reason. Barbies were a part of your childhood and, while you don’t play with them anymore, the world wouldn’t feel the same without them. However, if threw the true fact at you that the amount of artic ice has halved in the past thirty years, would it affect you enough to make you want to take shorter showers and use less fossil fuel energy? Maybe not.

How many videos are out there that make you feel like nothing but a jerk? Video makers that throw depressing facts at the viewer in hopes of making the world a better place have the right intention but the wrong idea. A video shouldn’t make the viewer feel bad because of their access to free education and clean water, because the viewer will feel so guilty that they may just shrug it off and tell themselves that it’s not true. Again, please note that everything I write is based on my own opinions and observations. If, however, the viewer’s everyday life is affected by whether or not a poor family in another country is given clean water, they may suddenly have a desire to change the world. My point is that humanity will only truly care about something that’s about to/already has disappeared if it affects/affected them in their everyday lives.

How can I change the world? The million dollar question. I have a million dollar answer, and it’s so simple. Follow Gandhi’s rule and be the change you want to see in the world. People are naturally influenced by others. People are also naturally rebellious. This is why being is so much more important than telling. I’ll ask you this – would you rather want to become like your favourite celebrity because you genuinely enjoy who they are as a person, or would you rather be told that this celebrity has good traits and that you should aspire to be them? It’s as simple as this: Did you make a donation recently? Tell your friends about! Be the example. Don’t show and tell the example.

I’ve left you off on a very broad way to make changes to our world, so I’ll give you a few resources to start you off. Charitywater.org donates 100% of its proceeds to providing clean water to families in poverty. Just $20 provides an entire family with clean water for their entire life. The Chosen Children’s Village is an orphanage located in the Philippines that cares for children who are disabled and have been abandoned. $200 a year will provide one child with education, therapy, and overall care. There are many good charities out there, but please be careful and do research before making any donations. Lots of charities will use a minority of the proceeds towards the actual cause.

What’s the best way to change the world? By acting as if the world is as you want it. Now that you have a better understanding of how to properly advertise charities or general philosophies to people – not by making them feel bad, but by making them feel inspired – you have the world in your hands. Go out there and make the world a better place. You can do it!