A Free Country? | Teen Ink

A Free Country?

By sydneyb12 BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
sydneyb12 BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

Everyday someone develops a crush, falls in love, or finds their best friend. Everyday someone is also told that they cannot marry their soul mate with because they are the same sex. The entity which tells them this is the government - the very same government which vows to protect our rights. America claims to be a free country, yet rips away its people’s freedoms every day. The road to equality did not end with MLK; in fact it has only just begun.
Marriage equality is a current issue that is being debated across the country. Currently only 14 states allow same sex marriage with New Jersey being the latest to legalize it. Why is America so resistant to change? Many argue that it “destroys the sanctity of marriage” or “is wrong according to the bible”. Below is an upsetting quote from Senator Michelle Bachman,
“It isn’t that some gay will get some rights. It’s that everyone else in our state will lose rights. For instance, parents will lose the right to protect and direct the upbringing of their children. Because our K-12 public school system, of which ninety per cent of all youth are in the public school system, they will be required to learn that homosexuality, is normal, equal and perhaps you should try it. And that will occur immediately, that all schools will begin teaching homosexuality.” – Senator Michele Bachmann, on what will happen if her same-sex marriage ban amendment fails to pass in 2004, appearing as guest on radio program “Prophetic Views Behind The News,” hosted by Jan Markell, KKMS 980-AM, March 6, 2004
Sadly, quotes like these are not uncommon among politicians. This is why we cannot leave the issue of marriage equality in their hands alone. It is up to every single one of us to fight for what is morally right rather than conform to society’s unjust laws and policies. We cannot stand by idly as another person’s rights are being taken away.
The Human Rights Campaign is an organization whose main goal is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Equal Rights. It has more than 1.5 million supporters and members but can still use more. By visiting their website, www.hrc.org , you can find resources and ways to help such as donating, volunteering, or supporting a campaign. Together we can make America a truly free nation for all.