The Trayvon Martin Effect | Teen Ink

The Trayvon Martin Effect

By Allen_Park SILVER, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
Allen_Park SILVER, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey

Have you heard of the Trayvon Martin case? Well if you haven’t I can tell you this, it is causing a lot of commotion and stress. Trayvon Martin was killed by an injury resulting from a single gunshot to the chest by George Zimmerman. George says that it was self-defense, but many African Americans think it was murder. Through the court trial, George Zimmerman found to be not guilty. I had mixed feelings about this decision.

I had mixed feelings about the decision because Trayvon could have prevented himself from being killed. George Zimmerman followed Trayvon for looking suspicious, which he should not have done. However I think that Trayvon should have just kept walking instead of turning around to fight Zimmerman. If Trayvon had ignored Zimmerman, it would have changed everything.

This case is very important to the African American society. This case is making people think about the place of African Americans in America. Tracy Martin, Trayvon’s dad started an organization to prevent things like this from happening again. He stated,"We've taken that negative energy ... and we're trying to turn it into a positive." Even President Obama also feels strongly about this case. He got very personal which is unusual for the President. Obama was telling top advisers the country needed to hear from him, not in a way the White House would script it but in a frank discussion of his views and experiences as a black man in America. Because this case was so important he wanted to be heard not as the President but as a black man in America.

Adults know that our generation will replace them when they are no longer around. We are the future of our country. This case was getting a lot of attention because part of the future of our country was killed for no good reason. It is disappointing knowing that a part of our future will not be here anymore. The terrible situation taught us all, adults and teenagers, to make good and right decisions all the time.

Why was the Trayvon Martin case such a big deal?