Violence | Teen Ink

Violence

By Brooke Schultz SILVER, Boca Raton, Florida
Brooke Schultz SILVER, Boca Raton, Florida

Nothing Good Ever Comes Of Violence
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Many thoughts linger in my head when I attempt to comprehend the meaning behind this quotation. Why has violence taken place for such a lengthy amount of time? Why is violence constantly the answer? What does violence ever accomplish?

Violence can be traced back as early as the 1500’s. Slave traders from Europe would send millions of slaves to the Americas. These slaves weren’t even considered human beings; they were thought to be three fifths of a person. When a slaveholder was unhappy, he would brutally punish his slaves. Our people today look back on slavery and wonder why we participated in violence of that depth, and vowed to do nothing of that nature again. Yet, once again, in 1933, The Holocaust began.

People were barbarically killed for the simple fact that they had a different religion, race, or sexuality. They were sent to concentration camps, where they were underfed, stripped of all their belongings, and separated from their loved ones. After they had performed challenging tasks, they would be cruelly beaten and killed. Young children were brainwashed into believing that this concept was okay. Killing was good. Many of us continually look back on this event with such shame and unanswered questions, yet we continue with violence today.

Recently, I was walking through the hallway at school and noticed 2 boys in a fistfight. There were at least ten other kids around them chanting, “Fight! Fight! Fight!” I Went up to one of the bystanders, and asked what the reason was behind the rivalry. He informed me that one of the boys was fed up with the others ego. I nodded my head and slowly crept to my next class. The image of this fight was haunting my mind. I had always learned about violence in class, whether it be religious school or public school, but never had I encountered a violent situation. Never had I seen people take out their anger with violence. I had only learned about it. But I now knew. Violence always takes place.

Nonetheless, I am still left with my question “why is violence constantly the answer?” Maybe it is because of a lack of love in a person’s heart. Maybe it is because of lack of education. It may even be because of lack of self-esteem, but, despite the causes of it, there must be something done to put an end to the violence whether it be in teens, or adults.

By discussing violence in our homes, the first step has been taken towards putting an end to it. Many of us share a common goal-world peace. In order to achieve this task, we must start small. By discussing within our families, and classmates, we are that much more educated and aware. I will never involve myself in any form of violence, as I understand the consequences of it, and the hurting it causes. I know great amounts about violence, but violence will never know anything about me.

stacy . said...
This is extremely mature and relevant to our society. We all need to be aware of the growing violence so that is doesn't continue to grow!

AMP123 said...
Nice job, Brooke!