A Full House of Family Matters | Teen Ink

A Full House of Family Matters

June 13, 2013
By Kiyah Mewborn BRONZE, Coumbia, Maryland
Kiyah Mewborn BRONZE, Coumbia, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Statistically two parent households rear more successful children. The type of parent a specific person is determines how they balance their child’s life. The four major types of parenting are authoritarian, authoritative, indulgent, and uninvolved (Moore). These different parenting types have great amounts of influence on the emotional development of the child. Also, mental achievement changes based from the level of expectation a parent sets for his/her child. Not only are parenting styles important to a child’s development, but the background of the parent is important because it affects the opportunities afforded to the child. Various parenting styles and opportunities provided in a child’s home life can affect his/her social development and academic achievement. Each parenting style affects how a child grows cognitively and socially.

An authoritarian parent is described as that strict parent who is ruled based, and this leads to a child that would ultimately make good grades and stays out of trouble, but on the social side would become shy or rebellious because they have been restrained for so long. The second parenting style is permissive, also known as indulgent. This parent caters to his/her child’s every want; this child develops to have lower maturity and independence levels, while their social skills will be great (Moore). The uninvolved parent is one that is rarely in a child’s life or does not provide what the child need. That would lead to a child who would most likely develop negatively. The final parenting style is authoritative, which has been found to be the most effective parenting type (Lloyd). This parent lays down the law, but also is nurturing to the child, and this leads to a child that develops healthy in academic, social emotional and behavioral areas.

Children with an intact family, meaning two biological parents, are more likely to be to be successful and less likely to have behavioral problems in school (“Family Structure”). Another accomplishment of two parent household children, over single parent children, is that they that will be more likely to complete more years of high school and ultimately graduate. Children raised in a single family often have problems paying attention in class, doing homework, and getting along with teachers. Also, they are more likely to have been expelled or suspended from school (“Family Structure”). When a child has contact with his/her father, his/her future can become brighter, since fathers play a big role in an adolescent. A child with a father who is actively involved has better educational outcomes, than a peer without a father.

An environment that could stunt or advance a child’s growth is the household configuration. 50% of all North-American children will witness the divorce of their parents ("Children Divorce"). After a divorce, many conflicts can arise such as strain on parent-child relationships, increased tension between parents, and economic hardships (Emery). The effects on a child could be stress, the risk of behavioral and psychological problems, painful memories, and ongoing worry. Another type of household that is found commonly in American is the single parent household, and most of the time this house is headed by a mother. Out of 12.2 million single parent families in 2012, more than 80% were headed by single mothers ("Single Mother Statistics"). This household can produce emotional issues like low self-esteem, increased anger, feelings of abandonment, and other negative effects within the child. Another environment that children are being exposed to more is when their parent is serving time in jail, so that child must live in conditions that they most likely are not used to. Having an incarcerated parent results in social and institutional stigma and shame (Statistics concerning Children…). Children most often grow up and find themselves emulating their parents, so it has been seen that children with a parent in prison are more like to end up in prison themselves (Program helps kids…).

Parents are the most essential aspect of a child’s life. From day one the parent can either be fully into the child’s life or detached which creates negatives within the child. The parent figures can affect the child’s development in the educational and social aspect. I admonish all parents or anyone as the guardian figure of a child to stay connected with your child, be present in their life as much as possible, be encouraging and support them and their endeavors. Little things parents could sometimes forget about could benefit your child in so many different ways, just because they know somebody is there for them.

Works Cited
Emery, Robert E. "How Divorce Affects Children." The Truth About Children and
Divorce. Ed. Robert E. Emery. Robert E. Emery, Ph.D, 2006-2012. Web. 26
Sept. 2012. <http://emeryondivorce.com/
how_divorce_affects_children.php>.
"Family Structure and Children's Education." Family Facts. The Heritage
Foundation, 2012. Web. 24 Oct. 2012. <http://www.familyfacts.org/briefs/
35/family-structure-and-childrens-education>.
Lloyd, Carol. "What's your parenting style?" Great Schools. N.p., 1998-2013.

Web. 14 Mar. 2013. <http://www.greatschools.org/parenting/


behavior-discipline/slideshows/

6407-parenting-styles-authoritarian-authoritative-permissive-handsoff.gs?page=5>.
Moore, Ayra. "The Impact of Parenting Styles on Children's Development."
Livestrong. Lance Armstrong Foundation, 12 Sept. 2011. Web. 17 Oct.
2012. <http://www.livestrong.com/article/
541560-the-impact-of-parenting-styles-on-childrens-development/>.
Program helps kids with parents in prison. CBS Evening News. CBS Interactive
Inc, 20 Oct. 2012. Web. 19 Dec. 2012. <http://www.cbsnews.com/video/
watch/?id=50133554n>.
"Single Mother Statistics." Single Mother Guide. N.p., 2010-2013. Web. 19 Mar.

2013. <http://singlemotherguide.com/single-mother-statistics/>.
"Statistics Concerning Children of Prisoners." DeMoss News. Prison Fellowship,
2012. Web. 7 Nov. 2012. <http://www.demossnewspond.com/pf/additional/
statistics_concerning_children_of_prisoners>.


The author's comments:
This is an abridged version of a paper I wrote for my Independent Research class.