Don't Let Depression Take Over Your Life | Teen Ink

Don't Let Depression Take Over Your Life

If you suffer with depression then reading this may help you. Depression is difficult to cope with. It can take over your life. So here are a few words of advice for you that could help you cope you’re your depression. One piece of advice to help with depression is to find a good doctor and a good therapist. Another piece of advice is to change your ways of thinking. Lastly, is to never give up. These are three major things that will help you in coping with depression.

Doctors and therapists can be very helpful when you are coping with depression. A doctor can help find a prescribe medications that will actually work for you and help make your depression more manageable. Medications will not completely fix everything. But they can help a lot and make your depression easier to handle. A good therapist can talk to you about the things in your life that are causing you to feel depressed. They can also help you uncover things that are causing you to feel depressed that you aren’t aware of. In doing so, a therapist can talk you through the things in your life that are contributing to your depression and help you think about these things differently. You may thing that doctors, medications, or therapists make you weak, uncool, or whatever it may make you feel. But everyone needs help at times. It takes courage to ask for help. Doctors and therapists are trained professionals that can really help get your depression under control.

Changing your ways of thinking can make an enormous difference when you have depression. When you have depression it’s difficult to terminate negative thoughts. It’s difficult to not beat yourself up over things. Not dwelling on bad things from the past is difficult too. But those are things that contribute to your depression. It’s time to change your thought processes and the way you view things. When you start thinking negative thoughts you have to talk yourself out of those negative thoughts. Don’t beat yourself up over things that have happened. Instead, use them as a learning experience. Dwelling on things from the past can get you down. There’s no use in doing that because it’s in the past. You can’t change it. So leave it in the past. Everything happens for a reason. You need to start thinking about things from a more positive angle. It’s difficult. But it can be done. Depression can cause all or nothing thinking. You have to give and take a little. There’s a famous quote by Charles R. Swindoll. The quote is “The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company… a church… a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past… we cannot change the fact that people act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you… we are in charge of our Attitudes.” Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Commit that to your memory. It’s time to change your attitude. It’s time to start taking control of your thoughts again and changing the way you think about things.

Never give up. Three simple words. But when things get difficult they don’t seem so simple anymore. When you fall down or get knocked down it seems easier to just lay there and give up rather than get up and keep pushing on. But you can’t lay there and give up. You have to pick yourself up by the bootstraps, brush yourself off, and keep going. Confucius said “Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.” Theodore Roosevelt said “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.” So when you fall down, get back up. When you don’t succeed at first, keep trying. If you give up your depression will only get worse. Don’t do that to yourself. Never give up. Remember those three words.

Depression is a difficult thing to deal with. But if you follow these words of advice you will be able to bring your depression to a more manageable level. Talk to a good doctor and a good therapist. Change the way you think about things. Never give up. Three things that will help with your depression. Now go out there and take control of your life and be happy again.

I have suffered with depression for a while and I wanted to help others who also have depression. I wanted to let them know they are not alone and that they have people who care and want to help them.